The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old January 7, 2000, 09:03 AM   #1
Puddle Pirate

I inherited an older (early 70's) Ithaca Model 37 featherlight with a full choke barrel. Does anyone know whether the new Ithaca barrels with choke tubes will fit it or where I can find a modified choke barrel if the new ones don't fit?

------------------
"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." -Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers at 184-8.

Old January 7, 2000, 09:12 AM   #2
fal308
Staff Alumnus

There is a serial number cutoff for replacement styles though I don't have the number handy.
As for sources try Gun Parts Corp www.gunpartscorp.com, Jack First www.1stingunparts.com or hit the local gunshows. I usually see a couple of barrels at every show.
Old January 7, 2000, 10:44 AM   #3
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Have you considered having choke tubes installed on your current barrel?

Giz
Old January 7, 2000, 09:47 PM   #4
Puddle Pirate

The serial number is 3711XXXXX, if anyone does know the cutoff numbers. Reworking the barrell is not really an option, I inherited the gun from my Dad, and I want to leave it pretty much as is. I just want it to be more versatile.

------------------
"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." -Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers at 184-8.

Old January 12, 2000, 08:15 PM   #5
jvanb

I'd suggest going right to the source. The following URL is the electronic contact address for ithaca gun.
http://www.ithacagun.com/info/contact.html
Old January 13, 2000, 10:13 PM   #6
Moe

This is realy wierd. I just loged on to ask the same sort of questions. And my ser. # is also 3711xxxxx. Spooky.

I want to know if One of the new barrels from Itaca 3" chamber 26" or the Hastings 3" chamber 24" will fit my 2 3/4" chamber reciever. I know the 3" hulls will not eject (placed a spent one in chamber) and so will not plan to use 3" shells. I left a e-mail at itaca but they seem to lazy to answer my mail so they are rapidly loseing my buisness.

Moe
Old January 14, 2000, 09:43 AM   #7
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Sorry guys, looked for the number but it's disappeared somewhere in the mess I call home. Perhaps Brownells has the cutoff number?

And to make things even spookier, I just pulled out my 37, a Featherlight Deerslayer with 20" rifle sight barrel and my S.N. range is 371,xxx,xxx
Old August 8, 2014, 08:06 AM   #8
Spats McGee
Staff

This thread is old enough for its learner's permit. Le's put it back to sleep, shall we?

Since Robert Anderson provided an answer to the last question asked, though, I'll leave his post up.

If you ever have a real need for more than a couple of magazines, your problem is not a shortage of magazines. It's a shortage of people on your side of the argument. -- Art Eatman
Closed Thread