The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 14, 1999, 11:01 PM   #1
Big Bunny

I was wondering if these products(rifled screw-in choke accessory add-ons) are used by any members and ask for a report from them if so.
Is the very short distance of rifling in the choke area on these designs (on an otherwise completely smooth bore) have any proveable effect on accuracy of the slug or sabot or are they purely wishful thinking - like "rifled slugs" fired out of completely smooth-bore choked guns which appear to have very little effect?

------------------
***Big Bunny***
Old September 15, 1999, 12:24 PM   #2
Cat

BB,
I did some tests on this very subject a few years ago.
Using a Remington 11-87, 12 gauge with a smooth bore, rifle sight barrel and a scope, using the Rem Choke rifled choke tube.
With sabot slugs it shot about 4-5 inch 100 yard 5 shot groups. If I put in a smooth choke tube, either IC or MOD it shot sabot slugs into about 2 ft. groups.
With an IC tube and standard rifled slugs, it would shoot 4 inch groups.
I never used a fully rifled barrel with sabots myself, but have heard mixed reviews from my shooting buddies. Anywhere from one ragged hole to 3-4" at 100 yds. These last results are unverifiable by me, only gun store conversations.
My only problem with rifled barrels is that you now have a dedicated sabot slug only barrel. I much prefer rifled slugs through an IC choked smooth bore barrel. They are accurate enough for me, and the ammo is cheaper and easier to find.
I once fired a 6 1/2 inch five shot group at 200 yards with a Rem 870 20" smooth bore barrel, with a 3-9 scope on it. Honest!
Cat

Old September 15, 1999, 04:26 PM   #3
Big Bunny

Thanks Cat...you are a mine of information. I may give it a go then!
Old September 16, 1999, 10:58 AM   #4
Dr.Rob
Staff Alumnus

Bunny,

I average a 2 inch group (sometimes all three holes touching) from my 870 12. gauge with a 20 inch barrel and srew in rifled choke. (Its got rifle sights). I shoot 2 3/4 1 oz slugs at max by winchester. (btw the SAME LOAD in Federal shoots A FULL FOOT Higher at 50 yards than the winchester). This is my "back-up" gun for elk.. since my scoped rifle doesn't have sights.

Accrracy is consistant and it sure gets a LOT of funny looks at the rifle range here in Colorado. (nobody hunts with slugs here)

I haven't TRIED shooting it at 100 yards, but I'd guess a 4 to 6 inch drop at 100. the problem is holding still on target with a hard recoiling shotgun trying to kick you into next year. I can only shoot about 6 rounds before my shoulder cries "no mas".

But if ya can't bag your deer with the first two... well maybe ya need to practice more.

Stay safe,

Dr.Rob
Old September 20, 1999, 08:57 PM   #5
Long Path

Hmmmm---
Rob, Last year, I was laughing at myself, running around the woods and mountains E. of Durango with a Sendero, when in the black timber I was in, there wasn't a shot beyond 90 yards most of the time. Sounds like my 1100 with it's open sights would have been a viable option... wonder why I never thought of that... I'm thinking about buying a rifled choke, too. Anyone got a favorite brand?

Right now, with my 22" barrel and screw-on-the-vent-rib open sights, I'm hitting minute-of-pie-plate at 85-90 yards, but lowwwww. Will try Remington, in hopes of higher groups. Still have to laugh at the "Slugster" design, wherein they bore out an area about .25" wide and .125" deep on the front of the slug, and call it a "hollowpoint"! Oooooooohhh! LOL!

Regards,

------------------
Will you, too, be one who stands in the gap?

Matt

Old September 23, 1999, 10:03 PM   #6
ptpalpha

Have to throw in my $.02 here. Grew up hunting in southern Michigan, where rifles are outlawed. I have since moved to NC, where they look at me like I'm crazy when I pull out my hopped-up 870 slug gun. Rifled barrel, Burris scope, synthetic stock, mag extention holding mercury recoil reducer, the whole 9 yards. In about 5 minutes I can have the stock 28" vent rib barrel on and be shooting clays. The point I'm trying to make (I can get longwinded...I love my 870!) is that the fully rifled barrel is not a huge committment. And the accuracy you get when compared to a smoothbore, even WITH the rifled choke tube, is worth it. Besides, it's two guns for the price of one + a barrel. Hastings now has an Economy 870 fully rifled barrel in Cabela's that's very affordable. Good Hunting!