The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 16, 1999, 09:58 AM   #1
cornered rat

I am thinking of shortening my 28" Remington 11 to 19". It currently has a modified choke.

I have two choices: cylinder choke with a "glowtube" sight or spreader choke (does such a thing exist?) and forget about using slugs.

Are glowtube sights adjustable for windage? If not, what's the likelihood of the shotgun shooting anywhere near the point of aim with slugs?
Old June 16, 1999, 10:20 AM   #2
Coinneach
Staff Alumnus

I've tried using a rifled barrel with fiber optic sights on my M500, and it shot like a dream. Kicked like a mule, but that's to be expected. The sights were adjustable, but I found I didn't need to change them.
Old June 16, 1999, 09:52 PM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I have read of a "Duckfoot" spreader dealie which is removable. Years ago, a friend of mine tried one, and said it made a pattern half as high and twice as wide as a cylinder-bore...

Dunno the source; Shotgun News?

FWIW, Art
Old June 17, 1999, 12:12 AM   #4
brass shower

A rifled choke tube will also spread the shot pattern out, quite dramaticly actually.

If you want to place slugs accurately and fast, try a set of ghost ring sights.
Old June 17, 1999, 04:14 PM   #5
HeadHunter

My Hi-Viz sight (front bead only) shoots dead to the point of aim with slugs at 20 yards. Although ghost ring sights are all the rage, I think their utility is somewhat overrated. The main advantage they offer is holdover ability at longer (40 yards+) range, which is difficult to estimate with a bead. Personally, I prefer the handgun style sights found on the Benelli and some of the Chinese copies of the 870 to the ghost rings. A Meprolight bead with a Hi-Viz clamp on is the best setup for most shotgun work, unless you are a LAPD Officer shooting at a guy's head at 70 yards. And in that case, I think a rifle would be an awful lot better tool.
Old June 19, 1999, 07:50 AM   #6
Dorsai

Cornered Rat,
This might work for you. Contact Marble Arms. For about $100, they will shorten your barrel to any legal length you want and install a Poly-Choke. This is a variable choke, just twist it to get anything from open choke to extra full. They have two versions, one plain, one with a muzzle brake.
http://www.marblearms.com/

------------------
Dorsai
Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud, and the rifle is the queen of personal
weapons. The possession of a good rifle, as well as the skill to use it well, truly makes a man the
monarch of all he surveys.
-- Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle