The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 20, 2002, 01:09 AM   #1
Cain R

5.56 mm Mil Spec Brass and my Savage M12

Just got a Savage Model 12 in .223. I've got several thousand handloads of old 5.56mm handloads that my Armalite M15A2 digests with absolutely no problem.

Trouble is theres no way these loads will chamber in my Savage, commercial brass chamber just fine, even commercial brass fired in the AR and resized with regular Lee dies work okay. But NO WAY for the mil-spec stuff. The only thing I can think of is that the mil-spec has just slightly thicker necks.

Anybody run across this problem before.
Old June 20, 2002, 06:05 AM   #2
Byron Adams

Were the older reloads neck sized, full length or small base resized. If neck sized, that would be a possibility.
Old June 20, 2002, 08:40 PM   #3
Cheapo

Uhh, there's also the difference in throat dimensions between military and SAAMI chambers. That's why M193 ball can produce unsafe pressures in bolt guns. Take five rounds and deep-seat them a bit and see what happens.

Are those loads with 55-gr FMJBT military projectiles? If so, switch to 52-gr HPBT match pills for stunning accuracy in a load that'll be safe in both rifles.

Still don't know if there is a similar problem with the M855 ammo and the A2 barrel/chamber... Anyone have info on that?
Old June 22, 2002, 11:41 PM   #4
Cain R

Hey guys, readjusted my sizing die and all the mil-spec chambers just fine. Funny how the most simple solution is the one you forget about.
Old June 23, 2002, 12:09 AM   #5
C.R.Sam

TFL Rocks.