The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old February 21, 2010, 11:49 PM   #1
Bama_Flatpicker

Taurus Frustration and Venting…

I deleted the contents of this long rambling post, due to the bad attitude it conveyed.
Maybe I will re-write it offline and re-post later.

KC

Last edited by Bama_Flatpicker; February 21, 2010 at 11:57 PM. Reason: see post contents
Old February 22, 2010, 12:00 AM   #2
Sturmgewehre

It's a Taurus. Their quality is hit or miss and their customer service is horrible.

Buy them for cheap shooters if you're on a budget... if you must.

Personally, I would save my pennies a little longer and get a good quality pistol like a Glock, XD, Beretta, S&W, or any number of other competitively priced firearms from a reputable manufacturer.
Old February 22, 2010, 01:07 AM   #3
45Gunner

Recently received a business card from someone I did an Internet purchase from. It said: Cheap guns are not good. Good guns are not cheap. Sums it up.

Doesn't mean you have to spend beau coup bucks to buy a good gun; just beware of guns that are inexpensive as you usually get what you pay for.
NRA Life Member
Old February 22, 2010, 08:32 AM   #4
Sturmgewehre

Here's an example of what you have to look forward to when dealing with Taurus's repair service.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=399341
Old February 22, 2010, 09:05 AM   #5
B18C5-EH2

I wouldn't use blanket generalizations such as:

Quote:
Cheap guns are not good. Good guns are not cheap.
I guess it's complete subjective being that one's definitions for "good" and "cheap" mean totally different things from the next guy's opinion.

There have been plenty of topics with plenty of people who are completely satisfied with their $150.00 Hi-Point pistols. Also Hi-Point's customer service is excellent and their "no questions asked" warranty covers their product for life regardless if you're the first or fifteenth owner.

Just saying...
Old February 22, 2010, 09:15 AM   #6
railroader

I think the problem with Taurus is they are a good deal if you get one that runs right. Now if you don't and you have to pay to ship it back to them a time or two they aren't such a good deal anymore. That and the resale is low on them. Mark
Old February 22, 2010, 09:46 AM   #7
Sturmgewehre

There have also been people who were completely happy with their Yugo's. It doesn't make the Yugo a well built car because there are people out there who like them.

There's a reason this sign hangs in my dealers showroom.

Old February 22, 2010, 11:05 AM   #8
B18C5-EH2

That sign is awesome.

If your reply was sort of speaking to me in regard to me saying there are people satisfied with their Hi-Points (and other inexpensive firearms) then please understand I made my remark not to defend Taurus - I made it to rebut "good guns aren't cheap, and cheap guns aren't good" because that's just too broad and subjective to be "true."

I personally would never own a Taurus because of the horrible customer service I've heard and read about. Even if they make good firearms (that seems debatable) I still cannot buy from a company that takes forever to fix their products should a problem arise.

BTW this might teeter on being off topic, but again to speak to the point about the relationship between a firearm's cost vs. it being a "good" gun or not:

People spend a lot of money on big name guns that end up being lemons too. Do a quick search for "Kimber problem" on Google and spend all day sifting through that mass of info. This is just one example..
Old February 22, 2010, 12:09 PM   #9
aarondhgraham

Taurus and Shipping Fees,,,

Taurus covers the shipping fees both ways during the first year of ownership,,,
That's what their CustomerService rep told me on the phone,,,
The Air Bill hit my mailbox 2 days after I called them.

I will admit it was a major bummer when my new 970 revolver was Bad Out Of The Box,,,
But Taurus fixed it, covered the shipping both ways, and I had it back in just a bit over 4 weeks.

Since then I've put 4 or more bricks through it without a problem.
Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old February 22, 2010, 12:33 PM   #10
Lashlarue

The sign is BS, CS will send you a prepaid fedex label.The 800 # can be found on Taurusarmed.net.Expect a minimum of 4 weeks turn around, as you pistol has to clear customs four times.Twice in Miami and twice in Brazil.A majority of the problems are user induced[failure to clean before firing],Had to clean mine three times. The firing pin channel is a booger.
Old February 22, 2010, 12:44 PM   #11
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
I deleted the contents of this long rambling post, due to the bad attitude it conveyed.
You aren't the first person to post regarding a torrid Taurus experience.

Hang in there, worse case, you sell it and take a beating on sales price and consider it a lesson learned. (Like I did.)
Old February 22, 2010, 02:14 PM   #12
B18C5-EH2

Well having heard and read of numerous customer [no]service issues with Taurus it really influenced my decision on which sub compact 9mm pistol to purchase.

At the time my choices were Kel-Tec PF-9, Taurus PT709 Slim, and Kahr Arms PM9. I quickly ruled out the Taurus simply because it's a new pistol and as with any new product, it might have issues, and seeing as how 4 weeks is their ideal turn around time I can't do that.

Does Taurus not have a "Taurus USA" office that handles domestic issues with their products? Does everything literally go to Brazil? That's crazy.
Old February 22, 2010, 02:28 PM   #13
Delaware_Dan

Quote:
Cheap guns are not good. Good guns are not cheap
Cheap is quite subjective. What is "cheap" to some might be expensive to others. I have a RIA Tactical in Satin Nickel that I think was cheap and of good quality. Same goes for my Ruger MKIII, and LCP, and Saiga.

As far as Taurus goes, the QC is all over the place, and if I was on a Taurus budget (for an auto) I would look at Ruger P-Series pistols. Same general price point and much better build quality.
Old February 22, 2010, 07:56 PM   #14
DocDizz

I'm a Glock/XD hater and a hardcore 1911/CZ75 fanboy... I've seen as many problems from Glocks as I've had in my CZ75B...

I'd still recommend any other decent plastic gun over a Taurus.

Just remember, when you mess with the bull you may get the horns, but you can never forget about the ****, too.
Old February 22, 2010, 09:06 PM   #15
DiscoRacing

i just broke an extractor from a 1994 pt908 this past weekend....they said today when i called that they will mail one to me...no problems at all... didnt have to send them the whole gun... no shipping charge....i dont see how thats a problem... and with the rounds that I have put thru it myself... considering the age arleady.... i think its a very reliable gun....
Old February 23, 2010, 08:19 AM   #16
Ace_Breaker

If anyone believes Tauri are at the level of Glock, CZ, Sig, etc. they suffer from lack of knowledge, experience, or both(IMHO). When these pro Taurus guys debate how good they are it exposes the lack of knowledge. Buy an HK, Sig, or other fine handgun and you'll never look at bull again. Protect you and your family with something you obtained by saving a buck. Nice!
Old February 23, 2010, 02:51 PM   #17
Ken - Oh

I have a Taurus 605 revolver on my hip at the moment. It's a good gun that I've had for many years.

However, as was mentioned, Taurus QC can be hit and miss. This particular gun was #3, the first two were sent back to the factory in the first couple of months.

Good guns don't have to be expensive and expensive guns aren't necessarily good. I have a CZ-75B that was $350 new. Great gun! I've also had Browning Hi Powers at twice that price that were junk (and I have a FEG clone at half the price that's a better gun.)

Ken
Old February 23, 2010, 03:04 PM   #18
pesta2

I remember when I first came on this forum, I had 4 Taurus revolvers. I would defend back to people such as Sturm, talking about Taurus and how they are descent, can’t beat the price, etc…. Then 3 out of the 4 had issues. 3 are now gone (I kept the .44 special 2” just because you do not see much of them). I once had disillusions of owning a Taurus 1911, luckily I did not go that route, because years later I purchased a Springfield Champion instead.

I have since learned it is better to save up some money and get a handgun from a reputable manufacturer, and listen to people on these forums that have more experience than you on certain subjects.
Old February 23, 2010, 05:27 PM   #19
Ace_Breaker

Quote:
I have since learned it is better to save up some money and get a handgun from a reputable manufacturer, and listen to people on these forums that have more experience than you on certain subjects.
Outstanding advise! It seems that most would rather argue than listen and learn.
Old February 23, 2010, 08:30 PM   #20
Shadi Khalil

Quote:
I remember when I first came on this forum, I had 4 Taurus revolvers.
You and I share the same checkered past my friend.
Closed Thread