The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old May 13, 2011, 07:39 PM   #26
Alaska444

Al, not sure why you are hot under the collar about CA. I am in the process of getting out of what I truthfully call Kommiefornia, sorry, that is just the way I feel about this state after living here since 1993. Not much choice on my part, my ex-wife moved back to CA with my son and I followed. He is now grown and I am half way out of the state with a condo I just bought in Idaho.

I follow Calguns and am grateful for the work that all of them do on behalf of gun owners. Without them and other groups, CA would have banned private ownership of guns a long time ago I am convinced. But at this point, it is not worth my while staying here if I can get my health care squared away. Fortunately, I have great lifetime insurance with Kaiser which takes great care of me but they don't exist in Idaho where I am moving. We are thus seriously considering buying a second condo in Portland where they do have Kaiser which is only 6 hours or so away from our Idaho house and truly say goodbye to CA for good. If it wasn't for the health care issue, I would be gone already.

Once again, I appreciate all that folks at Calguns and other RKBA groups here in CA attempt to do, but it just isn't worth all of the problems we put up with here in CA. In addition, I am in LA county and forget ever getting a CCW permit in any near future event that is. Sadly, it is a great state as far as natural resources, but loony tunes are in control.
Old May 13, 2011, 08:13 PM   #27
.wheelgunner.

Quote:
this may not be my forum, but it's spelled: C A L I F O R N I A
I know good and well how it's spelled. I lived there and I earned the right to say whatever I feel about it.

How about you mods stop acting like a bunch of badge heavy hall monitors in the first grade. You've turned this place from a first class forum into a second rate wannabe.
Old May 13, 2011, 09:38 PM   #28
geetarman

I have to agree with wheelgunner. Sad to see it come to this.

I don't have to put up with petty bs so I think it is time to leave. At least for a while.

Geetarman

Last edited by geetarman; May 13, 2011 at 09:46 PM.
Old May 14, 2011, 01:00 AM   #29
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Oh My! I do believe I've offended the genteel sensibilities of some folk ... Because I demand they act like rational adults and not ranting children. Ah well.

Alaska444, I left CA back in 1982 (after having lived there continuously since 1966). It wasn't about guns (they were pretty much a non-issue at that time).

What gets me hot under the collar is the denigration of any people in any State. It's simply juvenile when discussing issues, to relegate an entire State as ...(pick your invective).

It's about taking The High Road (a phrase that was used here long before THR was born). If that ticks some people off, well there are many other gun boards out there that will allow them to rant till their hearts are content. But not on TFL.

On topic:

It used to be that if people didn't like the politics & rules of a State, they could easily leave. If enough people left, it would generally signal a change in that State. Those days are long gone. People leaving a State today, because of the generally high populations, have little to no effect.

Doesn't mean you can't or even shouldn't leave. That's an individual decision, everyone makes on their own. I would just hope that everyone who does decide to leave, investigate the State to which they are going.

Culture shock can be a cruel mistress.
Old May 14, 2011, 03:45 AM   #30
8shot357

Quote:
Can't have larger than 10 rnd mags.
How many do you need? You can carry 100 rounds, you just need ten mags!
Old May 14, 2011, 03:58 AM   #31
8shot357

Another good reason to leave the state (Which you did not say), I'm guessing they have state income tax's.
Old May 14, 2011, 06:22 AM   #32
Bud Helms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska444
Al, not sure why you are hot under the collar about CA.
He's not hot under the collar about CA. His point is how we should try to express some support and respect for those of us that live there fighting for their, and our, rights. It is similar to using the word "sheeple". Too easy and a shortcut and copout in the effort to say what you mean, since it is misused, overused and misunderstood by many.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .wheelgunner.
I know good and well how it's spelled. I lived there and I earned the right to say whatever I feel about it.

How about you mods stop acting like a bunch of badge heavy hall monitors in the first grade. You've turned this place from a first class forum into a second rate wannabe.
Yes, you do have that right. However, Al has a point. Why don't you try to see his point and not post a kneejerk reply. Reading Al's comment, I'm thinking it was not really intended to be directed at any one person. He's complaining about the practice by anyone.

We occasionally need to remind some on this board that this is not a public square. It is private property. Our rules of conduct include the admission that we do not have a complete list of those behaviors that are offensive or prohibited. That is why we have active hands-on moderators and this is not a free-for-all. The by-word here is civility.

That said, I am having some difficulty understanding how your position here gives you the right to admonish a Senior Member of the TFL Staff on his/her legitimate comments on this board.

I would never waste my precious time in a "second rate wannabe" gun board. How about you?
Old May 14, 2011, 06:59 AM   #33
hogcowboy

It might look like I moved from California to Texas because the gun laws to some, but the real fact is I was just following my job. Of course I jumped at the chance to make the move!
Old May 14, 2011, 08:24 AM   #34
MLeake

I have not left a state over gun laws, but there are states I would not move back to (MA, RI) and states where I do not consider employment (CA, NY, NJ, MD, DE) and even some states I bypass entirely on road trips, even if it may add a few hundred miles (IL, WI) due to a mix of gun laws and other nanny-isms.
Old May 14, 2011, 11:07 AM   #35
Crankylove

Quote:
........ states where I do not consider employment (CA, NY, NJ, MD, DE) and even some states I bypass entirely on road trips, even if it may add a few hundred miles (IL, WI) due to a mix of gun laws and other nanny-isms.
I have never felt the need to move due to guns laws, but Utah isn't doing too bad with those (got a "0" rating by the brady people ), and Washington state was doin alright when I lived there as well. But, I have passed on jobs that would have required me moving to a more gun unfriendly gun, and like MLeake, road trips and/or vacations get planned around states that have excessively harsh (or idiotic) guns laws, or ban my ability to possess one entirely.

I realize many people do not have the ability to simply pack up and move, and some choose to stay and help make a fight of it...........and my hat is off to them for the hard work, time, and money they put into their efforts..........but, I would be one of those that packs up and leaves for greener pastures as soon as I could.
Old May 14, 2011, 11:32 AM   #36
Alaska444

Dear Al, I believe folks are misconstruing these pejoratives to the PEOPLE of these states, when in fact I believe folks are referring to the RULERS of these states, a major difference. Kommifornia for instance implies a communist takeover of the state and who could argue with that here in CALIFORNIA. I have never enjoyed living in this state but because of family circumstances, I had little choice but to move here.

I have done my time in this state and paid my debt to society. My penance is complete and it is now time to seek refuge in the land of the free and the brave, Idaho is the place to be and I am seeking to escape full time, not just for several months a year. The list of grievances by those that rule this state are long to include taxation, ruined neighborhoods from section 8 folks sent to do their gang banging in good areas, and the gun issue when taken in total sends the message that things here will only get worse. I have done my part and the state only gets worse, not better. Sorry, I don't owe anyone here anything else. There comes a time when you must simply abandon ship.

Lastly, the home in CA costs us nearly 3 times what our home in Idaho will cost when you add up all of the expenses of living. CA doesn't deserve my money any longer to sqaunder on illegal aliens who don't want any part of participating in a viable society and instead live under the table and on the dole. I see no choice but to take a stand in defensible zone, CA is no longer defensible. The exodus from CA is the only voice that we have left and I believe ultimately it will get the attention of even Gov Moonbeam. Walking away is about the only constitutional freedom we have left, I feel compelled to exercise that freedom at this time before they take that away as well.
Old May 14, 2011, 04:24 PM   #37
retiredcoasty

I live in MA the access to firearms is greatly in control of the town’s police chief. In one town in which I lived, the chief made in nearly impossible to obtain a permit to carry. I moved and this chief actually believes that the 2nd Amendment is a right. But I would move from here in a heartbeat – but the wife loves her job so I will stay. Was going to move to NY but now they are much worse than MA. Texas is looking good for retirement!
Old May 14, 2011, 04:53 PM   #38
Mike38

Being from Illinois, the thought of leaving has crossed my mind a time or two. I’m currently unemployed, so the thought is crossing my mind on a daily basis. My house is paid for, and a mortgage doesn’t sound appealing to me. That’s the only thing keeping me here.
Old May 14, 2011, 05:40 PM   #39
Wag

My wife and I moved out of California five years ago but not because of gun laws. Or any other particular reason, really. We actually liked California and still visit as occasion permits.

Leaving it, however, afforded us the opportunities to make some real advances financially and it also affords us greater freedom with gun carry laws along with a lifestyle that meshes more closely with out desire to be further away from the morass of people which was around us "back there."

That isn't to say that New Mexico is perfect. Far from it. It has its own share of problems in many ways, just as any state will have. Whatever area we live in will have it's share of difficulties. The idea is to just be sure to live in a place that corresponds with the majority of your own ideologies. And subsequently respect others who have made that decision as well. Including all due sympathies to those who are in the unfortunately position of being obligated to live in a place they don't like due to circumstances beyond their control.

That said, I think blasting the policies and governments of a state is highly appropriate, so long as it doesn't extend to blasting the residents, specifically. Politicians put themselves in a position where criticism is not only a natural consequence of their position but very nearly mandatory!

--Wag--
Old May 14, 2011, 06:52 PM   #40
spanishjames

Quote:
But if it were to a no-chance of carry state - I guess they would have to make me King and surround me with body guards.
It's funny you should mention that. The former mayor of Chicago, Richard Daley wants to continue using Chicago Police officers as bodyguards after he leaves office. He was of course a fierce opponent of concealed carry for the citizens of Chicago, but according to him "the safety of my family comes first"
http://www.suntimes.com/5201760-417/...propriate.html

Indiana isn't too far from where I work, but I have to admit my roots are quickly growing deeper in Illinois. I can see how someone could leave their home state if an opportunity came along elsewhere. If not, then the only option is to stay complacent, or join the fight for their rights to be recognized.
Old May 14, 2011, 07:26 PM   #41
Wrothgar

I moved from TX to CO, the gun laws are pretty much the same. I moved here because its beautiful. I will do everything I can to avoid living in an anti-second amendment state.
Old May 14, 2011, 11:36 PM   #42
Buzzcook

I plan to be buried here. Gun stuff is way down the list of why I'd live or leave any place.
Old May 15, 2011, 03:29 AM   #43
Hook686

I live in California and have for the past 40 years. As others have noted having parents, kids and grandkids here makes for tough decision to move out of state. I like the geography here, and so far I can live with the firearm rules and regulations. I have: .357 and .44 magnum revolvers, carbines and a Desert Eagle that fires both those rounds I also have a bolt action scoped rifle, a 12 gauge auto loading shotgun. I have a couple of USGI M1 Carbines from the CMP and a Ruger Blackhawk in the same caliber. I have a .22 caliber LR pistol and revolver, as well as a pump rifle. I sometimes carry a S&W 9mm, or shoot my Walther P-38,

I live in California and do not feel the need to cry about the firearms I cannot own, for I'm happy with the ones I do own. The ten round magazine limitation I do not whine about either, as I've never got off more than five shots at a coyote since I been hunting them.

Thus far a citizen can own firearms in California. In some places that is not the case. However here in California it can still be done.
Old May 15, 2011, 03:52 AM   #44
Geezerbiker

When I was a tech at Microsoft I was offered a job in Chicago for about 4x what I was making. I turned it down for one and only one reason. I couldn't take my hand guns with me. Not to mention my rifles... Other than the location, it was really a dream job...

Tony
Old May 15, 2011, 04:57 PM   #45
rellik74

Still in colorado but I left Denver after being layed off I looked every where but Denver. And now in southern colorado it took 2 weeks to get my CWP.
Old May 15, 2011, 05:14 PM   #46
Uncle Buck

When I retired I looked back over the states I had been in and the cost of living in those states. Guns did not mean a lot to me then, but were still important.

I finally decided on Missouri. I do not think any of the states are perfect, but I have my own little slice of heaven right here.
Old May 15, 2011, 07:50 PM   #47
mes227

Quote:
How may of you have relocated out of your home State because the gun laws are too restrictive?
I was born in California but spent much of my adult life in Utah and then Nevada. I moved back to California to start an engineering company and have the kids close to their grandparents, and then moved to and lived in Peru for 10 years to run our South American division. When it was time for me to come back home, with the kids grown and the grandparents deceased, I had a long period of soul searching about where "home" was. And I decided it was definitely not California for a variety of reasons including the broad category of an overly-intrusive government, with gun laws just one symptom of that deeper problem. That plus high/poorly spent taxes brought me back to Nevada and I'm very happy with that choice.
Old May 15, 2011, 07:52 PM   #48
johnwilliamson062

Your problem is you aren't giving your money to the SAF. Check out some of their recent court wins and recent case filings.
Until then, good luck.
Old May 15, 2011, 09:44 PM   #49
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

John, who was that addressed to?
Old May 16, 2011, 12:41 PM   #50
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
I send my money to the NRA. I send my money to the NYSRPA.
To be fair, the NYSRPA is pretty much an unknown for me as I have not ever lived in NY or seriously considered moving there. For all I know they spend every penny they have on 2A issues or they don't have much money to begin with. I can't remember reading about an amicus brief they filed in any cases or any cases they started although there must have been opportunities in NY. Many of the states groups do decently well. BFA holds its own for instance. They just threatened a lot of state reps who were considering flip flopping on legislation and several flip flopped anyways and indicated BFA was a non-issue, but enough seemed to listed that the bills are still making their way through the process.