The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 3, 2014, 05:54 PM   #1
ckpj99

How in Armslist in your area?

I have an SKS I'm trying to sell, and I'm looking to buy a Marlin 336. I've listed the SKS on Armslist and I've contacted several sellers on there are as well.

Everyone has flaked out or disappeared. I've had several people contact me interested in the SKS. I email them back telling them, "yes, it's still for sale. Do you have any questions about it. Would you like to set up a time to meet." And then I never hear from them again. It's happened three separate times. I even had a guy offer me a little less than what I'm asking, and I said, "I'll take it, let's meet." Never heard from him again.

On the buying side, I've made offers on three separate guns. Two have been listed (and bumped) for weeks, another I caught as soon as it went up. I emailed them. Two of them just never responded. The third didn't have a price listed, so I asked for a price. He quoted me something fair. I said, let's meet. No reply.

Is everyone using Armslist sketchy like this? I'm in southern Ohio. I'm just shocked at how I've been completely ignored, and how people show interest and then vanish. I've even been checking my junk mail for missed emails.

Is Armslist like this everywhere?
Old March 3, 2014, 05:58 PM   #2
huntinaz

Armslist is terrible here. Backpage is much better, although there are flakes there too. I stopped using Armslist, seemed like nobody was straight.
Old March 3, 2014, 06:32 PM   #3
CWKahrFan

I've had 8-10 very successful transactions through Armslist and zero no-shows. I use a lot of discretion when reading through the listings. If they are well-written, describe the item with a lot of details and include a decent picture or two, I figure the person is serious... Or if a buyer, they volunteer enough information about themselves and what they really want and whether they have a CCW permit (if a handgun), and how realistically enthusiastic they are, how old and mature they come across, etc.

Then a phone conversation will reveal a lot. As in dealing with any business transaction, I get a feel for if they're truly involved and up-front and honest and how they figure the actual details of the exchange will happen. If the feeling is good, I nail down all the specifics of the meeting; agreed on price, cash payment, etc... Then call them again to confirm as I'm leaving, repeating the time and place I'll arrive and what car I'm driving and how I look, etc... and get the same from them.

No big problems yet.

But, yeah, there are some real flakes on there. I sometimes filter out 6 or 7 nibbles before I get a solid strike. It's just how it is. As in retail stores, a lot of people browse merchandise with little intention to buy, just for something to do. That's just in the nature of things.

Sometimes it's a real multi-week chore, and sometimes I've completed a transaction within an hour or two of an ad going up. It's like that...

It seems I've been reading more negative chatter lately as you've described. Maybe it's getting worse... But it's been a pretty useful tool for me so far.

Last edited by CWKahrFan; March 4, 2014 at 10:44 AM.
Old March 3, 2014, 10:30 PM   #4
Jay24bal

My experiences have been a lot like CWKahr. I have purchased 3 guns off of Armslist, and all three went smoothly.

I have never contacted someone and had them not respond to my questions.

Quote:
Backpage is much better
Around here (NE OH), backpage is a joke. Out of the 10 or so postings every day, maybe 1 is a local individual advertising a gun for sale. It was usually out of state outfitters or internet gun shops advertising their wares. I have not even bothered to check it in recent months.
Old March 3, 2014, 10:34 PM   #5
Jay24bal

After writing my last post, I was curious and went to backpage and looked to see if things changed, it has gotten even worse.

On the Cleveland Backpage site, you need to go back to February 19 to find a local gun for sale. Just a bunch of internet adds for .223/5.56, 22lr, out of state outfitters, and a lot of AR accessory ads.

I realize it is all local and the results will vary based on location, but for me, backpage is a no go.
Old March 3, 2014, 11:25 PM   #6
ckpj99

Well, I suppose it's nice to know that it's not just me. It's still frustrating. If Gunbroker and FFL transfers weren't such a pain, I'd go for that.
Old March 4, 2014, 01:16 AM   #7
franzas

Be very careful with armslist if you're not doing a FTF deal. I got taken for 600 bucks.

Needless to say, I got the Bexar Co. Police and the ATF involved. I have yet to hear back...
Old March 4, 2014, 09:04 AM   #8
noelf2

Quote:
Be very careful with armslist if you're not doing a FTF deal.
^^^+1^^^ And be very careful where the FTF takes place.
Old March 4, 2014, 09:54 AM   #9
Garycw

I've had very good luck in Ohio & Kentucky. Buying & selling. I usually exchange several emails, at least one phone call and try to meet in public parking lots that wouldn't raise alarm to anyone. I've even went to a couple peoples homes, but I would never have anyone come to mine.
Old March 4, 2014, 10:37 AM   #10
dakiwi13

Ive had good and bad xp no matter where i trade/sell. That won't ever change, but ARMSLIST in my area isnt bad at all. The trick is to find out about the other person as much as possible b4 comitting to a deal
Old March 4, 2014, 01:12 PM   #11
Garycw

Once I canceled a deal by saying it was gone, when I got a bad feeling about a person I deemed somewhat disturbed
Old March 4, 2014, 01:21 PM   #12
nanewt02

Ive had at least 20 smooth transactions on armslist, sometimes you dont hear back, but ive never had a no show as of yet. if your getting several emails like that, check the email header and see if the IP adresses match minus the last 3 digits. It could be some lowlife with nothing better to do using different email accounts.
The REAL frustrating things are the dealers and the increasingly intrusive ads.
Old March 4, 2014, 01:50 PM   #13
FrankenMauser

Armslist is pretty much useless in my area. It's where all the idiots, flakes, and scammers go.
Serious buyers and sellers use Utah Gun Exchange (even into border states). There are still some flakes, scammers, idiots, and inconsiderates; but the percentage is much lower.
Old March 4, 2014, 02:47 PM   #14
sidecar

Reload this Page How in Armslist in your area?

Have had many good deals using armslist in my area. Never have had a no show. Only had one guy change his mind to sell after we set up a meet. He said he wanted to keep it, but who knows. The only bad experiences I've had are with buyers in other states. After coming to a price & shipping information they suddenly disappear. No email or phone call return after trying to contact them several times. But on a local basis, I like Armslist.
Old March 5, 2014, 05:59 PM   #15
chiefr

No problems here, but it seems every time I list something, no one bites for about a month or so them I get plenty of emails at the same and its sold.

I have never had a problem buying on Alist. Always make transaction in a suitable area.
Old March 5, 2014, 06:57 PM   #16
Ozzieman

I have never purchased gun on armslist but I have scopes and reloading gear. As others have said get to know the person with a few e mails and then meet at a very public location. Both times I have use the big Mc (don’t tell them).
Both went very well with no complaints.
My neighbor has purchased several hunting rifles and has also had very good luck. No, no shows and the guns were as described.
Old March 5, 2014, 10:06 PM   #17
lee n. field

Quote:
Everyone has flaked out or disappeared. I've had several people contact me interested in the SKS. I email them back telling them, "yes, it's still for sale. Do you have any questions about it. Would you like to set up a time to meet."
The one time I got into negotiations with a guy over something I wanted, he got squirrelly. This gun for that gun, but he somehow got it in his mind that it was trading for a different gun. Uhhh, no. He did this for two different guns.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old March 6, 2014, 02:27 PM   #18
model18

Armslist

Armslist is a joke around Myrtle Bch. Lotsa' over priced crap, and ignorant sellers that keep listing their crap over and over again........and they still wonder why they still have sold the items FS. The wording of most ads make you think they have the hope diamond!!....LOL Some folks would benefit if they did a little research, before placing ads. They're still trying to get panic prices on most everything!
Old March 6, 2014, 02:46 PM   #19
Garycw

Model18, I've noticed things are priced higher on armslist in Florida than Ohio or Kentucky. Sometimes higher than you can for new. I'm wondering of its because there's more people without proper ID