The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 12, 2011, 08:08 AM   #1
LDBennett

Steel cored ammo??

I recently resigned from a range club due to their insistence recently on NO steel cored ammo. The test they use is a magnet. But in testing my son-in-laws ammo all of the surplus ammo is attracted by the magnet. Some commercial ammo like Hornady and S&B for military calibers also fails the magnet test. But heres the kicker. My reloads using Winchester bulk bullets, 147 gr Full Metal Jacket Boat Tail (FMJBT) Part Number WB762147N in 308 caliber also fails the magnet test (???).

I went to the Winchester components page for this bullet and nothing is said there about any steel core or steel used in the jacket.

Is the steel core ammo becoming the norm now that lead is so expensive?

Besides hunting ammo and pure copper bullets is steel coring of ammo slipping into the shooting scene?

If it is the jackets that contain some steel then this club is going to have no shooters left on the rifle side!

LDBennett
Old September 12, 2011, 09:57 AM   #2
chack

California rules...
Old September 12, 2011, 01:43 PM   #3
chris in va

If they don't allow 'steel core' bullets, cut one in half and show them that the jacket is the only thing 'steel', and even then it's mild steel that isn't designed to penetrate.
Old September 12, 2011, 02:12 PM   #4
Pahoo

Seeing is believeing.

Quote:
If they don't allow 'steel core' bullets, cut one in half and show them that the jacket is the only thing 'steel', and even then it's mild steel that isn't designed to penetrate.
WOW, I'd have to see that. My Steel cores will turn a cylinder block, into dust at 100yds. Not only that, but you have to go straight into the berm as they can fly into the next county. I can understand why a range would want to discourage this round. Perhaps they need to identify them by brand names rather than just the magnet test. ...

Be Safe !!!
Old September 12, 2011, 05:25 PM   #5
res45

Most all commie surplus ammo will have a steel bullet jacket with the exception of Yugoslavian,there surplus 7.62 x 54r/X39 and X25 ammo all have copper jacket and lead core and is not magnetic. All other commie ammo with have either a lead or steel core.

On the Winchester bulk bullets, 147 gr. FMJBT it's possible they could well have steel jacket lead core bullets. Winchester makes said bullet to NATO specification for us in LC X51 ammo as well as the standard copper jacket lead core 147 gr. FMJBT,same bullet different jacket construction. You cant really tell the difference except on is magnetic and the other is not.
Old September 12, 2011, 11:18 PM   #6
FrankenMauser

Quote:
WOW, I'd have to see that. My Steel cores will turn a cylinder block, into dust at 100yds. Not only that, but you have to go straight into the berm as they can fly into the next county. I can understand why a range would want to discourage this round. Perhaps they need to identify them by brand names rather than just the magnet test. ...
I have turned cast iron cylinder blocks "to dust" with a .357 and cheap bulk bullets. I have also seen the same happen (with an International 304 block) with a .44 Mag and hard-cast lead SWCs. No steel-core bullet or rifle cartridge was required. Engine cylinder blocks (iron or aluminum) are much more fragile than most people believe. Brake master cylinders, on the other hand... They're tough cookies to crack.
Old September 13, 2011, 12:24 AM   #7
mrawesome22

I can't see what this has to do with reloading?
Old September 13, 2011, 07:28 AM   #8
LDBennett

The component bullet, Winchester Bulk 147 gr FMJBT 308, fails the magnet test and that is what I reload. I stated the concern about the possibility that other component bullets may be going to steel cores (??) and was looking for insight from others knowledge. I think that is related to handloading (??).

LDBennett
Old September 13, 2011, 07:50 AM   #9
CowTowner

Quote:
I think that is related to handloading
I agree with you.
I'm sure they aren't steel core, simply a bi-metal jacket which uses ferrous metal. I seem to see more bi-metal jacketed bullets out there. Most likely due to lower cost of manufacturing.
I'm sure one the the real experts will jump in and correct me if I'm wrong.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy