The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old October 5, 2001, 05:46 PM   #1
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

OT - sorta ... how do you download video files?

Not through some ghoulist nature - more so for prosperity - I'm trying to download pix & .mpegs of the WTC attack.

Anything I can, I'll "open in new window," which usually gives a larger pix (rather than thummbnail) & off we go.

However, many .mpegs/.rams, etc. just open up in a pop up box & I see no way to save these to my disk.

& while we're at it, I'm sick of the new version of Adobe that makes you mail the darned thing rather than just being able to save it. grrr

Any tips?
Old October 5, 2001, 09:22 PM   #2
Caeca Invidia Es
Staff Alumnus

If it is a direct link to the video you can right click the link and choose save target as. If it is playing it within a web page then I don't know how, or if you can do it.

I don't approve of political jokes, I've seen too many of them get elected.
Old October 5, 2001, 09:39 PM   #3
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

They don't appear to be a direct link - I guess an embedded thingy ... right clicking doesn't do a thing, 'cept maybe bring up a "preference" drop down for the player.
Old October 5, 2001, 10:24 PM   #4
Quartus

labgrade, if the video is on RealPlayer the answer is -

You can't.

There may be a way to do it if you are a serious hacker, but for we mortals, sorry charlie. At least, I don't know of a way, and if I don't know of a way..... there are probably several.

If it is an MPEG, though, you're in luck.

Assuming you are using Windoze, do this:

Watch the movie online. Don't exit the window. Bring up the file finder, and search for:

*.mpg; *.mpeg

You'll find the buggers sitting in your cache file. They may have a weird name, but they will be there, and the file date will be just a minute ago. Copy them to the desired location, rename them, and there you go.

If you find this difficult with IE, got to www.opera.com and install their browser. It's slick, small, and won't bother IE. Use Opera to go to the same site, view the movie, and it will be nicely tucked away, with the correct name, in

C:\Program Files\Opera\Downloads

It's pretty simple in Netscape, too. Same as Opera, but the file name will be weird, and located in

C:\Program Files\Netscape\Users\<yourprofilename>\Cache

Happy whatevering!

Of course, you will be using this technique to capture MPEGs of guns, won't you? Of course. (Mandatory gun content!)

BTW, Opera will usually capture Adobe files in the same directory. Same procedure.