The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 25, 2010, 08:20 PM   #1
Jack.Ruby

.357 SIG set up

so my Sig P229 is in the mail and should have it in a few weeks. plan on putting a few hundred factory rounds through it then start reloading.

Ill use the 357sig (.355) Montana gold
I have a lee turret press

but what die set up should I use?
are the lee 3 piece steel dies good enough?
If I went with the Dillon carbide dies will they fit on lee turret press?

what powder is good?

any other tips for 357sig reloading
Old September 25, 2010, 08:55 PM   #2
Loader9

I use a 40 SW carbide sizer for the body and use a 357 Sig sizer die for sizing the necks. No lube required using the multiple dies like that. You really need a Lee Factory Crimp die to make sure the bullet does not have any setback from the tiny neck. I use 8.0 grs Unique powder under a 125 gr bullet. That's a case full but AA9 is also a case filler and a lot of guys use it. The idea is to fill the case with powder otherwise the bullet will just fall inside while yer trying to get a crimp on it. The best and correct bullet diameter is .3555 but I've used .355 and .356 and have not had any issues. For the Sig I load for, the plated bullets are great for plinking but accuracy was so-so. The Speer Gold Dots especially sized for the Sig did best.
Old September 26, 2010, 04:58 PM   #3
jeffreybehr

I agree and disagree with Loader9. I use the standard Lee 3-die set plus the .40S&W carbide sizer in the 1st position of my Lee 4-hole turret press. Without applying any lube, I size 1st in the .40 die (with decapping pin removed), then go thru the normal 3-die routine, and then run the loaded cartridge thru the .40 die again. That process has eliminated any tendency for loaded rounds NOT to chamber quickly in my aftermarket LoneWolf barrel. I set the Lee 357 sizing die as low as it will go to get as much neck sizing as possible. I use the regular seating/crimp die and have NO problems with bullet setback.

Also, I outside-chamfer all cases and use only nickeled cases.

Hope your turret press is a 4-holer.
Old September 26, 2010, 05:05 PM   #4
Raven Armament

Dillon carbide and be done with it. They will fit the Lee press.

Longshot, #7, #9 will work well.
Old September 26, 2010, 06:03 PM   #5
jepp2

Even using the Dillon die, you are going to have to use case lube.

I prefer the 2 die approach to avoid using lube. An article that will be useful to you for die set up:

http://www.realguns.com/Commentary/comar65.htm

Good choice on bullets, that is what I use.
Old September 26, 2010, 06:32 PM   #6
Raven Armament

I've been loading the .357 SIG for about 5 years now with the Dillon carbide dies. Never used lube on any of the brass and never had a loading issue whatsoever.
Old September 26, 2010, 08:32 PM   #7
mactex

I've been using Hornady dies with a small amount of Hornady's One Shot lube. With the exception of the Dillion carbide dies, I believe that any of the dies should work well with a small amount of lube. The Dillion carbide dies might be the best choice is you positively don't want to lube the cases. If you choose to lube, don't go nuts with it. I spread my cases in a pan, lightly spray the One Shot and then move the pan around which causes the cases to roll a bit. A light coating is all it takes.

I've read and tried the idea of running the cases through a .40 sizing die. No problems with it, but I honestly could not tell any difference when I did or did not and it wasn't worth the extra step for me.
Old September 26, 2010, 08:59 PM   #8
Osageshooter

To lube or not to lube ...

I have been using the Dillon carbide set and using lube with great success. I then ran a batch of brass through and realized that I did not lube them. Same success. All fire fine in my 229. Very accurate with no malfunctions. I haven't decided whether or not to go back to lube.
Old September 27, 2010, 11:54 AM   #9
Ike666

I tried loader9's suggestion but have gone back to just using my Dillon carbide 357Sig dies. I do very lightly lube them with one shot (sort of wave it over the cookie tray I uses and let it descend on the brass). I haven't had a problem with either case sticking or set-back. I do use the Dillon crimping die. So far they all have fed just fine in my G32. I alternate between #9 (started with this b/c of the full case) and PowerPistol.

I was real concerned in the beginning. I didn't want to go through a bunch of rifle case prep and I didn't want it to KB from a set back bullet. Practice and a couple of thousand rounds and its now a straight forward as loading .45 ACP.
Old October 1, 2010, 07:59 AM   #10
Jack.Ruby

thanks guys. if I go with the Dillon carbide dies will my lee auto disk powder measure go onto the die or will I need a dillon one?