The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 11, 2008, 07:46 PM   #1
NormOps

Gun Projects

I, for one, would be interested in seeing some of the different projects that members are working on in the gun world.
I think its safe to assume that this isn't the place for a volume sized blog spot ('How to Build the .50 from scratch- A step by step Guide' kind of thing) but with perhaps one or to pics at most, if desired, and a concise synopsis of a project we may all enjoy and benefit from others input.
Just thought I'd throw that out there.
Old October 11, 2008, 08:49 PM   #2
Superhouse 15

Projects

Well, I don't have any pics, but...

for the latest projects I shortened an old Winchester Bolt action .22 to a 16" barrel, recrowned it, and adjusted the sights. I also finished rebluing the barrel and magazine of an old model 60 and had a friend Duracoat the receiver and front barrel band. I finished staining and Polyurethane coating an old single shot 20ga that I cut down. I was going to make it a (legal, obviously) sawed off, but when I cleaned it up the wood was too nice so I kept it with a full stock and shortened the barrel to 18". New sight, too. I'm in the end stages of rebuilding an old Remington .22 bolt action. I filled in a couple of holes for a home made scope mount, reblued it, polished the bolt, and removed the pistol grip contour of the stock to make it a shorter straight grip stock. Still have to fit a butt pad to that one. I also have to fix a mistake. I cut the barrel on another 12ga single shot to 18" from 28", but when I installed the new front sight I ended up with it a little crooked. I plan to fill in the hole and replace it with a new (straight) one. I'm trying somethign new with a stainless screw made into a front bead. The 12ga belongs to the shop and it's for sale. I liked the 20 so much when I was done I bought it for myself. The other gunsmith at the shop is trying to convince me to help him shorten the barrel of an old Remington .308 model (88?) and install a scout scope. I don't have a pilot to crown the .308 and he thinks we can rig up something, but I'd rather leave the thing alone. He got it in a trade and has almost no money in it.

Lots of .22s lately, but my son will be a year old in a couple of months, thus the small caliber work. The full size hunting shotguns aren't selling either. People seem to want defensive stuff more lately so we've been shortening the ones that aren't selling.
Old October 11, 2008, 10:20 PM   #3
NormOps

Cool...
as far as crowning goes, the way I learned to do it was with a lathe tool with a concave radius grind. it's good for almost any bore size, particularly the medium to larger sizes. for the clean rifling edge coming out of the bore, I use a sixty degree countersink with six cutting edges on it. you can simply hold it and hand feed it with the lathe in low gear, and as long as you hold it horizontally straight, it will ride in line with the bore, so you don't have to worry about dialing anything in.
I recently recrowned a smith & wesson revolver barrel like this, with a little lathe file work as well since the top sight barrel rail/lug was in the way for the cutter. the owner reported it was shooting fine. actually, the re-do was cosmetically better to the original...

Eli W.
Old October 12, 2008, 05:19 PM   #4
AutoPistola

Well, I don't have pictures and I'm not a gunsmith/machinist, but...

I'm working on two saiga conversions. One will be a tactical 16" 7.62x39 with HK sights, handguard venting, and hopefully an ACE socom stock (spendy). The other is going to be a 21" saiganov .308 with a romanian drag stock. I'm figuring out how to modify the stock with a lower palm/pinky extension and a custom spring-loaded buttplate (since mine came without) and an extension to fit the UTG rubber butt pad.
Old October 12, 2008, 09:34 PM   #5
Harry Bonar

project

Sir;
Everything sounds interesting but why not get a good Mauser action and build an African rifle? A 9.3X62 is a fine caliber - the action needs barely any modification except bolt handle and drilling and tapping for scope!
It can take the big five of Africa in a pinch and the moderate velocity 37 caliber bullet ruins far less deer than a 30-06!
Harry B.