The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old October 19, 2007, 10:53 AM   #1
tyrajam

Hilarious! Crook caught

I loved this story, now these people have it right!

Couple make burglar clean up at gunpoint
Thu Oct 18, 9:03 PM ET

MONTGOMERY, Ala. - A burglar in Montgomery chose the wrong family to mess with, literally. Adrian and Tiffany McKinnon returned home on Tuesday after a week away to find that thieves had emptied almost everything the family of five owned, Tiffany McKinnon said through tears.

"Tears just rolled down my face as I walked in and saw everything gone and piles of trash all over my home," she said.

Adrian McKinnon sent his wife to see her sister while he inspected the piles left behind. As he walked back into the sunroom, a man walked through the back door straight into him, Tiffany McKinnon told the Montgomery Advertiser in a story Thursday.

"My husband Adrian caught the thief red-handed in our home," she said. "And what is even crazier, the man even had my husband's hat sitting right on his head."

Adrian McKinnon held the suspect, 33-year-old Tajuan Bullock, at gunpoint and told him to sit on the floor until he decided what to do.

"We made this man clean up all the mess he made, piles of stuff, he had thrown out of my drawers and cabinets onto the floor," Tiffany McKinnon said.

When police arrived, Bullock complained about being forced to clean the home at gunpoint.

"This man had the nerve to raise sand about us making him clean up the mess he made in my house," she said. "The police officer laughed at him when he complained and said anybody else would have shot him dead."

Capt. Huey Thornton, a police spokesman, said police arrested Bullock at 2 p.m. Tuesday on burglary and theft charges. He was being held in the Montgomery County Detention Facility on a $30,000 bond.

"The victims were lucky in this case to be able to catch the suspect in the act and hold him until police arrived," Thornton said.
Old October 19, 2007, 10:58 AM   #2
pax

That is funny.

Pretty sure though that I would not order the guy to move around -- if I had him at gunpoint, I'd prone him out & wait for the cops. Just too much bad and dangerous juju possible with him moving around.

Glad it worked for them though.

pax
Old October 19, 2007, 01:33 PM   #3
CmpsdNoMore

That's a great story, I can just picture it in my head.
Old October 19, 2007, 02:14 PM   #4
Ledbetter

Yes, I'm afraid I am a lawyer.

Forcing anyone to move from place to place at gunpoint is, technically, kidnapping. If you accidentally shot the subject dead while doing this, you would, technically, be guilty of felony murder, which is the same as first degree murder.

Not a good idea, IMHO.

Ledbetter
from thefiringline
TFL #4573
NRA for Life
Winchester Canyon Gun Club for Life
Old October 22, 2007, 07:38 PM   #5
thinktwice

Ledbetter I agree with you, not a good idea, and your are right. Moving a person just a few feet against their will constitutes kidnapping. However in your own residence you can move the subject/suspect anywhere you deem safe, to protect yourself/ family. Additionally I don't think anyone could/would be charged with first degree murder since first degree requires premeditation. If you just walked into your house and shot and killed a burglar, I am not saying you would not be charged. However walking in your home and being" surprised" by a burglar,dismisses premeditation hence first degree murder charge.
Old October 23, 2007, 07:46 AM   #6
ActivShootr

[color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]? Just shoot him.
Old October 23, 2007, 08:14 AM   #7
SpookBoy

I agree with "ActivShootr" why not just shoot the guy?
Old October 23, 2007, 09:42 AM   #8
Ledbetter

"Felony murder" is most any homicide committed during the commission of a felony, like kidnapping. Unless you're doing it for safety, don't order anyone to move around cleaning your house at gunpoint.

A lot of things that some people think are "cool" might be illegal or stupid or both.

Ledbetter
from thefiringline
TFL #4573
NRA for Life
Winchester Canyon Gun Club for Life
Old October 23, 2007, 11:57 AM   #9
Fremmer

Quote:
why not just shoot the guy
For goodness sake...........

How about because the criminal complied with the homeowner's demand to surrender. And because shooting someone sucks, even when legally justified. You get blood all over your house. Then you have to explain everything to the police. Then you have to deal with an investigation. And pay a lawyer. And deal with an awful memory of killing another human being, albeit a criminal.

This ain't Hollywood, folks. We don't just shoot people just because it is fun. Even with the castle doctrine. Shooting someone is the absolute last resort. If you don't think that shooting someone is the absolute last resort, then you shouldn't possess a firearm.

Flame suit on, but somebody needed to explain the (seemingly) obvious reason not to "just shoot him."
Old October 23, 2007, 12:09 PM   #10
Selfdfenz

Since they turned him over to LE there is (a) at least a chance he will roll over on his pals if he wasn't a lone ranger and (b) he may cough up the location of what ever of their property he hasn't already traded for crack.

Still, pretty funny.

Best,
S-
Old October 23, 2007, 01:07 PM   #11
Justme

Quote:
[color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]? Just shoot him.
Sometimes you guys worry me. I sure as hell wouldn't want that statement to turn up in court if I were ever in trouble for shooting a home invader. Almost anything you say on the internet is public and saved, and saying something stupid isn't all that smart.
Old October 23, 2007, 01:14 PM   #12
armedandsafe

Quote:
Just shoot him.
Quote:
why not just shoot the guy?
Because blood is much harder to clean up than those piles of junk.

Pops
Old October 23, 2007, 01:36 PM   #13
hunter33

haha good story!
Old October 26, 2007, 01:08 PM   #14
jg0001

I'm not sure I'd want him touching my stuff twice, even to clean it up.
Old October 26, 2007, 02:37 PM   #15
sw_florida

Shoot to kill

Realistically, a burglar caught red-handed in a home is most likely armed, be it handgun or knife. Once the burglar is subject to a future pick up by the police, the burglar will do anything to avoid jail. He will cut you open to get past you, to the door, in the slightest of hesitation from you, or draw his handgun when you look away. Even the policeman in this story said that any normal home owner would have killed the burglar. You are in the green. Shoot to kill. Or die your self.
Old October 27, 2007, 01:13 AM   #16
Fremmer

Yeah, just "shoot to kill" without thinking about it at all. Just do it.

Yeah.
Old October 27, 2007, 01:46 AM   #17
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
You are in the green. Shoot to kill.
Quote:
I agree with "ActivShootr" why not just shoot the guy?
Quote:
Disappointing...
Old October 27, 2007, 04:50 AM   #18
Semblance

Quote:
Seriously?

Because an opportunity to kill someone is not a valid reason to kill someone. I'm all for self defense and the castle doctrine, but posts like this are irresponsible, and a large part of the reason that firearm owners get a bad rap.

Whether your post was in jest or not (and I hope that it was) is irrelevant.
Old November 2, 2007, 06:44 PM   #19
Doggieman

I agree that "just shoot him" was a bit glib, and probably just kind of a trolling statement.

However, there are good reasons for "shoot first" attitudes in the home. Suppose there were two guys.. you've got your gun on one and the other sneaks up behind, konks you over the head, then kills you with your own weapon.

The strike teams they sent in to Afghanistan caves to rout out the enemy back in 2002 didn't take prisoners. Too dangerous. They killed everyone they found.

I'm not saying that your own home is like a cave in Afghanistan where a BG could pop around the corner and hose you down with automatic fire any second while you're tying up a prisoner, but I think if I "bumped into" some dude in my house at night who was obviously robbing the place I'd be very very likely to shoot him, make sure nobody else was there to harm me, then call the cops.
Old November 2, 2007, 07:37 PM   #20
JohnKSa
Staff

The point is that shooting the criminal CLEARLY wasn't necessary in this situation.

Deadly force isn't something you do just because you CAN, just because you're justified in doing it, just because you can legally get away with it in the situation you find yourself in, it's something that should be looked upon as a last resort.
Old November 7, 2007, 12:06 AM   #21
IdahoG36

Quote:
When you are sitting in jail awaiting trial for homicide, for shooting an unarmed person who willingly surrendered, you will be saying "[color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]? WHY did I shoot him?"
Once the threat ceases, so does your right to use deadly force. What you are suggesting is murder.
That is the reality of the situation.
Old November 9, 2007, 10:46 AM   #22
jabotinsky

There's a gap in the story between the BG strolling into the room and the homeowner having him covered, but we can assume the burglar was surprised and surrendered quickly. Why shoot? If I came upon someone in my home, I would be aiming and yelling "freeze" or "down on the floor" franticly and repeatedly while on a hair trigger to fire at any moment if he busts a move, but I wouldn't shoot a man who doesn't have a gun in his hand unless he makes a move for his shirt or waist or has brought company.
Old November 9, 2007, 12:34 PM   #23
Bama Rifleman

It's obvious some of you didn't read what the LEO said; "anybody else would have shot him dead." He's in my home illegally! He's a dead man! And I live outside Montgomery, Al. And yes it would be legal. See below:

"Section 13A-3-23 of Alabama Code
Use of force in defense of a person.
(a) A person is justified in using physical force upon another person in order to defend himself or herself or a third person from what he or she reasonably believes to be the use or imminent use of unlawful physical force by that other person, and he or she may use a degree of force which he or she reasonably believes to be necessary for the purpose. A person may use deadly physical force, and is legally presumed to be justified in using deadly physical force in self-defense or the defense of another person pursuant to subdivision (4), if the person reasonably believes that another person is:

(1) Using or about to use unlawful deadly physical force.

(2) Using or about to use physical force against an occupant of a dwelling while committing or attempting to commit a burglary of such dwelling.

(3) Committing or about to commit a kidnapping in any degree, assault in the first or second degree, burglary in any degree, robbery in any degree, forcible rape, or forcible sodomy.

(4) In the process of unlawfully and forcefully entering, or has unlawfully and forcefully entered, a dwelling, residence, or occupied vehicle, or federally licensed nuclear power facility, or is in the process of sabotaging or attempting to sabotage a federally licensed nuclear power facility, or is attempting to remove, or has forcefully removed, a person against his or her will from any dwelling, residence, or occupied vehicle when the person has a legal right to be there, and provided that the person using the deadly physical force knows or has reason to believe that an unlawful and forcible entry or unlawful and forcible act is occurring. ...............
Old November 9, 2007, 03:06 PM   #24
sw_florida

Get a grip

Some say that shooting him was clearly not needed in this case. But had the criminal pulled out a hand gun in a moment of distraction of the homeowner, and killed the homeowner, you would all say that killing the burglar had been the right thing to do and that the homeowner hadn't been in touch with the harsh reality.

You don't know the mentality of a burglar. You don't know if he is armed. All you know is that he is a criminal. In your home.

Do the math.
Old November 9, 2007, 03:36 PM   #25
yongxingfreesty

could ve gone either way, lucky the home owner made it out alive. i agree, a burglar in your home is most likely armed. i wouldnt risk it. id be scared if I saw someone in my house, would probably shoot then ask questions later.

that's how it is in TEXAS.
Closed Thread