The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 26, 2005, 07:43 AM   #1
Captain Kimber

Shotgun Sighting

Can someone help me with a small problem? I have installed ghost ring rear sites and front sites on my shotguns. While sighting them in the slug pattern was about 8 inches high at 25 yards. I adjusted the rear sight all the way down but the shots are still 6 inches high. Would adjusting the front site allow me to readjust the front sites and if so which direction should I move the front site, towards the receiver or towards the muzzle?
Old August 26, 2005, 09:23 AM   #2
Dave R

I 'think' moving the front sight toward the receiver woudl lower your point of impact. But what you really need is a taller front sight. I'm assuming that moving the sight toward the receiver would give it the appearance of being taller.
Old August 26, 2005, 02:38 PM   #3
Captain Kimber

The sites are ESS sights and about as tall as you can get. Are there any LEO weapons instructors out there that can help?
Old September 1, 2005, 05:39 PM   #4
cptmclark

Shotgun slugs

Has anyone done any serious accuracy testing with these new rifled barrel hunting shotguns? I have read about a guy who built a huge target gun for just that, but I don't see anything serious about the hunting guns. This ammo is so expensive, I'd like to read what others have found before me.
BTW, my most accurate load so far is the Federal 1OZ Barnes all copper number. I'd like to see the faster ones give the same accuracy, but so far, they don't. I use the 870 with factory and aftermarket barrels.
Old September 2, 2005, 01:57 PM   #5
Nnobby45

I've found that low recoil Tactical slugs shoot considerably higher in my two Combat shotguns. Even though there's less recoil, the muzzle still has time to climb higher by the time the slug exits the muzzle. You can't just move the sight a little closer. An 18" barrel as opposed to a 22" might make a difference, but bringing the sight a fraction of an inch closer won't do it.
Old November 16, 2005, 05:10 PM   #6
Captain Kimber

Never Mind

Finally got it figured out. A simple trip to the range with a couple thousand rounds of slug and every thing is right as rain and suprisingly more relaxing! Ahhhh.
Old November 21, 2005, 07:57 PM   #7
Ruger4570

Probably a late answer,, but ,, you adjust the rear sights in the direction you want the bullet to go,,, you adjust the front sight in the opposite direction you want the bullet to go. Hope this helps