The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 31, 2009, 02:43 PM   #1
arfan

Brass Case Size

Before reloading with once used 9mm brass, I checked the brass with the case gage and found that all the cases will not fit completely into the case gage. Is this brass ok to reload and use?
Old October 31, 2009, 02:48 PM   #2
Farmland

You need to resize the brass then see if it will fit. It is normal for all brass to expand after shooting.

The resizing die will put the brass back to specs.

Welcome BTW.
Old October 31, 2009, 03:04 PM   #3
arfan

Thanks!

I'm using a Dillon Square Deal "B" and so I went to check and see why the brass wasn't resizing properly. The die wasn't screwed in tightly.... I tightened it down, tested it, and it seems to be working correctly! Thanks again for the help!
Old October 31, 2009, 09:27 PM   #4
jepp2

Just one of the many good uses of a cartridge gauge!
Old October 31, 2009, 09:56 PM   #5
max it

deprime, size and check case length, for what result?

Guys,

Someone suggested to me that I should check case length on my 9mm and
.45's before loading. Is that really necessary?
I would have to run them thru my presses ( one progressive, one indexing) and then size them afterwards. A lot of work.

Much obliged,

Max
Old October 31, 2009, 10:34 PM   #6
Crosshair

For most people it is not worth it to check case length unless you are going for obsessive compulsive levels of consistency. I never check the case length on my 9mm, 40 S&W, and 45 auto and have yet to have a problem. The cases don't stretch like bottleneck cases.

If you're loading balls-to-the wall like I do with my .357 Redhawk, to the point where the loads will blow up any lesser .357 mag, then such measures might be prudent.
Old October 31, 2009, 10:49 PM   #7
PCJim

All ammo has a case dimension of slightly less diameter than the chamber it is designed for, otherwise you would not be able to insert a round into the chamber. When the round is fired, the case expands to seal the chamber so that the gas will drive the bullet out the barrel. After the pressure subsides, the brass will spring back to a slightly smaller diameter than the chamber allowing for extraction.

You have attempted to gauge a case that has expanded but not been resized. It would surprise most of us if it did fit in the case gauge before resizing. Your resizing die will to make sure the case is back to the correct dimensions so that it will both hold a bullet and be reinserted in a chamber.

Max-It, as Crosshair stated, checking case length in straightwalled pistol cases is pretty much a waste of time. Although there is an exception to every rule, the general rule is that straightwalled cases actually shrink slightly in length each time they are fired. It is your bottlenecked cases that tend to lengthen with each firing.
Old October 31, 2009, 10:54 PM   #8
Dragon55

+1 on what PCJim sed

If you really want to see this effect pick a few of the aluminum cases you find at the range. Of course, you know not to reload them.
Old November 1, 2009, 12:12 AM   #9
Farmland

I am glad you have it figured out. You are probably using a carbide die since they are Dillon dies with the SD. You want to touch the shell place with the resizing die then back it off a little so it does not hit the shell plate on the stroke.
Old November 2, 2009, 05:27 PM   #10
arfan

Adjust the DIE?

"I am glad you have it figured out. You are probably using a carbide die since they are Dillon dies with the SD. You want to touch the shell place with the resizing die then back it off a little so it does not hit the shell plate on the stroke."
The SD manual only says that the resizing die is set at the factory and will need no adjustment. So, upon noticing it was not tightened, I simply took
a wrench and snugged it down. I can see no way to make an adjustment other than what I did. Think I should remove the die so I can see how it works and deciefer how to make any adjustment if needed?
I reloaded 50 rounds today and approximately 6 of those would not fit completely into the case gage. The shell plate on those cartriges would not fall flush into the gage.
Your suggestions?