The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 22, 2009, 04:55 AM   #1
gokyo

Kirst gated conversion.

I think a gated conversion for one of my 1860 would be very cool.

I am a avid reloader. I have not bought ammo in years (save the '06 I bought with my garand and 22lr).

If you reload .45 scholfield for a kirst is it correct to assume that I have to load up the metallic cartridges with BP or pyrodex.

or is it possible to us a slow burning gun powder.

Also is it any cleaner to shoot with a metallic cartridges or does the weapon get just as grungy as with cap and ball.

If you use a Kirst conversion for .38 spcl can you use modern .38?
Old June 22, 2009, 08:57 AM   #2
MrAcheson

Don't know about cleanliness. With the 1858 conversions, you can typically shoot cowboy level smokeless loads and BP cartridges. That's it. Even full bore .45 colt is a no-no.

You can shoot .38 special in most of the .36s, but the bore is the wrong diameter. .38s are .357 inches. .36 C&B is .375 inches. That's a pretty big difference and you need to load hollow based lead bullets or have the barrel sleeved.
Old June 25, 2009, 01:37 PM   #3
buckspen

Kirst Gated Conversion

Gokyo - I have a Colt 1851 Navy which I have fitted with a Kirst Konverter with loading gate ring. I have not (yet) modified the frame of the gun to allow loading through the gate, so I have to remove the barrel and cylinder in order to load and reload.
The installation was easy and it works quite well. I tried deep seated 147 grain lead flat point bullets loaded to mid-range velocity and got poor accuracy. However, using soft lead hollow base wadcutters, the results were much better.
I also bought a Kirst Konverter with loading gate ring in .45 Schofield caliber which I had intended to fit to my Colt 1860 Army, but I sold the gun and didn't get a chance to try it out. The Konverter is brand new in the original box and I would take $250 for it including shipping. Please let me know via private message if you would like to purchase it. Retail on these is about $280 plus shipping. It's listed as for the Uberti Colt 1860 Army.

- - Buckspen
Old June 25, 2009, 05:55 PM   #4
long rider

Gokyo, if you want to shoot smokless then i would
use trail boss, its made for cowboy action, i have
loaded a lot for my 58 convertion its good powder
and its clean.
Old June 25, 2009, 09:41 PM   #5
SamStafford

I loaded up some .45LC with Trail Boss for my 1858 Remington and after shooting, my 1858 Remington was a lot cleaner then shooting BP.
Old June 26, 2009, 12:19 AM   #6
gokyo

Buckspen

PM sent.