View Single Post
Old August 19, 1999, 07:46 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

DeadCalm, I think the no reply from the first gunsmith is unforgiveable. You should always answer someone's query. The customer has a right to know the status of his job, it's good business and it's just plain polite. The second guy may just be so backed up that he hasn't got to your gun yet. Before just picking it up and maybe waiting another month for another gunsmith to get to it, you might want to just talk to him and find out when he thinks he'll get to it. I normally tell someone that my turnaround time is 6 to 8 weeks. One instance in particular happened to me this past spring. Things slowed down a little and my turnaround time dropped to what I estimated at 4 weeks. A gentleman e-mailed about having some custom work done on a Defender and that was the time frame I gave him. I received his pistol about a week later May 4th but by the time his arrived 20+ others has shown up ahead of him. That automatically pushed his return back a couple more weeks and on top of that he wanted the pistol chromed. I don't do that and had to send the gun to an associate. Well he was backed up too. By the time all was said and done 2-1/2 months had gone by. I shipped the pistol to him on July 23rd. Sometimes things happen that we aren't expecting. In my own case, being a one man shop, dealing with walk-in customers takes a lot of time away from the bench, not to mention the phone. Now from the other side of the bench I'll tell you what gets my red up. You'll get a gun in for repair, etc. and tell the customer how long you estimate it will take to get to it and get it done. He calls every three or four days asking about it (that part doesn't bother me) and then when you notify him it's ready it takes him weeks to come by, pick it up and pay for it. One example of about 15 that are waiting to be paid for right now: I reblued a revolver for guy. I told him when he dropped it off that it would be at least 6 weeks before I got it done. After 3 weeks passed he called every other day asking if it were done. This is no exageration. I finished his bluing job about a week before I had promised and contacted him. That was 3 weeks ago and the pistol is still sitting here. So, I guess it works both ways at times. George

Page generated in 0.03481 seconds with 8 queries