View Single Post
Old April 13, 2012, 11:14 AM   #63
Alaska444

Quote:
Today, 05:29 AM #56
dayman

Quote:
How many times have you heard comments like, as soon as I saw him, I knew he was guilty that are completely subjective and illogical evidence of guilt.
On TV/movies, often. On jury duty, or from people who actually served on a jury, never.

I'll give you that we have a lot of problems with our judicial system, but jury's are still comprised of every day people - people who didn't duck their civic duty - and most people are trying to do the right thing.

I think most of the lessons learned from the situation in FL have more to do with citizenship than duties of a CCWer. Unless you're LEO - and regardless of whether you're carrying a gun - it's not your place to tail kids around, no matter how suspicious they look.
That doesn't mean we should completely ignore the world around us and take the tack that "if it's not directly effecting me, I won't do anything". I just think there's a lot of room between sitting by and watching someone get mugged, and chasing down every kid that we think looks like their up to no good.
But again, the only thing that carrying a gun effects in all that is that it does have the potential to escalate things. And if we do escalate - intentionally or not - a non violent situation into a violent/lethal one there will probably be consequences no matter what our intentions were. I think I heard that good intentions pave a road somewhere....
Actually, I don't believe many people understand basics aspects of logic and are ruled in many ways by emotion and fads than by logic and thought. I was recently an expert consultant in a murder trial where the defense in my opinion went beyond resonable doubt to much evidence of innocence far beyond just doubt of the prosecutions case. When the jury found the defendant guilty, one of the alternate jurors who heard the entire case came and wept in the defense lawyers office on how wrong the jury verdict was and that he could have made a difference in the case if he had been on the jury itself.

Two of the counts were dismissed in a manner that defies logic since they were two of the counts that had the strongest evidence. Trying to reverse engineer their logic is impossible.

No, I take exception to the statement that we have true justice any longer since we now have people who can barely count or read let alone put together a logical treatise of guilt of innocence. How many people deliberating have any basic understanding of the constitution or the Bill of Rights or our basic history of jurisprudence? No my friend, God forbid I ever have to stand before a jury of my "peers." That is one of the places where justice has broken down in not being able to recognize prosecutorial misconduct and lack of police integrity in so many cases.

Sorry, but I think I would rather take my chances before a panel of judges than the current average American jury where they routinely exclude anyone that has higher education and forethought on the basic issues of the case. Just as we have dumbed down schools, we likewise have dumbed down juries. Sad, but quite true.

Page generated in 0.03482 seconds with 8 queries