View Single Post
Old April 3, 2014, 12:40 PM   #21
Sevens

I ran through 750 Nosler 150gr JHP's back before I truly learned how to chase bullets in large bulk purchases. Most of those slugs were sent down range with a 9.4gr charge of Power Pistol. Good shootin' load, but I never put them through a chrono and I doubt they were huffing really hard. Power Pistol absolutely has a way of giving more blast & fireworks than comparable powders, so it makes everything "feel" more energetic than it likely is. The experience also left me with a solid opinion on Nosler .40cal jacketed bullets:

extremely well-made and consistent, quality, good-lookin' slugs, but they are absolutely on the slender side and when I had any brass with tension/bullet pull issues, these bullets were simply not safe to use. (that means YOU R-P head stamp 100mm brass, and even more so, YOU ya stinkin' R-P head stamp nickel plated 10mm brass!)
^The story is true, use it to your benefit.

Later, I settled on two different 180gr FMJ slugs, choosing whichever I could get a decent purchase from. Either Zero or Precision Delta. And since that time, I've been through thousands of them.

Most were sent out at a middle-of-the-road 1,057 fps average through my stubby 3.78" Glock 29 barrel, this being an 8.2gr charge of Power Pistol. Many, many, many of these fired. Frankly, before putting them through a chrono, I really thought that load would be "faster." Anyone with chrono experience will likely tell you how common that is. Once again, Power Pistol has a way of "adding" to the experience and you see & feel action that your perception may equate to bullet speed. These are good, accurate loads, but they are not 10mm barn-burners, for sure.

I snagged a one-pounder of IMR-800X because that powder simply has the reputation of SPEED for 10mm. And if you do enough snooping around, you'll find that some folks go over published max with this powder. It may or may not be worth noting that the published max STOPS at a 30,000 PSI rating, so it was a bit of incentive for me to also push beyond that published max. I won't say where I loaded it (that's for you to explore on your own!) but I took my 180 grain bullets to a 1,205 fps average and was satisfied that it was a very nice, accurate, safe load. But the powder is irrationally difficult to deal with and won't meter through any device other than an automated scale, so I'm simply done working with it.

Still, the chrono often makes you wanna chase some speed, so I ended up doing that quite easily with Hodgdon Longshot. This powder meters beautifully AND I can use it for a bunch of other fun loading projects, so it's what I like to load 10mm with these days. My same 180gr FMJ slugs (from either manufacturer) clock an honest 1,204 fps average through the same short-ish 3.78" Glock 29 barrel when pushed with a 9.4gr charge of Longshot. That load is very near, but just a smidge under Hodgdon's published max.

Please use anything you've read here with CAUTION and work toward any load with care.

Page generated in 0.04168 seconds with 8 queries