View Single Post
Old June 20, 2013, 12:19 PM   #11
Wild Bill Bucks

For me, I would say anything beyond 250 yards would be un-ethical, because I have not practiced that distance. I have a custom .308 rifle that is plenty capable of long ranges, but my feeling is "The only bad shot, is the one not practiced". Since I have no real reason to shoot those kind of distances here in South-eastern Oklahoma, I don't see any real reason to practice them.

I would also think that the rifles your seeing on those TV shows are not what I would call "Out of the box rifles" I would bet that they are rifles that have had extensive work done on them to make them that accurate. If a factory rifle can't put 3 shots on a dime at 100 yards, then how far off is it going to be at 600 yards. Most factory rifles I have owned in the past will put a 1 1/2" group together at 100 yards, but most of them would scatter bullets all over that 1 1/2". That would manifest into quite a bigger difference the further out you would get.

I won't say that every long shot is un-ethical because I am sure that some of the guys here on the forum could take those shots pretty easily, as they have practiced for them, it's just not for me.

Page generated in 0.02787 seconds with 8 queries