View Single Post
Old February 24, 2012, 05:36 PM   #24
dlbarr

The 1:48 twist is supposed to be a "compromise" rate that works respectably with both round ball and slug-type projectiles. All calibers have a "perfect" rate of twist and I used to know the formula/equation for figuring that out but have long since forgot it. I do know this: 1:48 is the perfect rate of twist for shooting a prb out of a .40 cal.

That being said, Hawg's suggestion to start with the .570 & .010 patch is a good one and work from there. I've never shot that much BP behind a RB and it seems a bit overkill....my suspicion is that you'll blow a fair amout of unburned powder out the end of that short barrel. I'd think 90 gr of 2Fg would be sufficient but that's only MHO.

As an aside, I've never had any success with the maxi-ball or maxi-hunter projectiles. I do have a 1:28 twist green mountain barrel for my T/C and it likes Barnes Bullets TMZ real well! Those are an all copper bullet (just finally approved for hunting in my state, WA) and make that barrel a real tack-driver. Unfortunately, I don't believe they come in .58...only .45 & .50, I think. Sorry, this has nothing to do with the thread, I got carried away and wanted to brag a little I guess.

Page generated in 0.02149 seconds with 8 queries