View Single Post
Old July 14, 2009, 07:40 PM   #6
W. C. Quantrill

First and formost you need to order a copy of Spencer Wolfs book on loading the Trapdoor Springfield .45-70. Read it about 3 times then proceed. I shoot an original TD and it is different than shooting a Sharps or other rifle as you are dealing with a loose tolerance very shallow-3 groove barrel. Loading for the Trapdoor requires a few different techniques, but if you follow them, it will bring the meat home.

That barrel is designed for cast bullets not over 1-20 or if they are not accurate, go to 1-40 tin to lead alloy. Second it is a black powder only action. The strength of the action is the strength of the latch that holds it shut. A clean case will hold just a wee bit over 65 grains level full. A 500 grain bullet-flat base-will seat down more than 1/2" to the top crimp or driving band. You DO need a compression die and compress the powder --FFG-- to the appropriate depth then seat a .030" card then the bullet, and crimp it.

Because the powder is compressed into a solid pellet at this point it needs a Winchester Magnum rifle primer to touch it off, also the flash hole is enlarged appropriately. All this information is detailed in Spence Wolf's book. Compressing the powder, enlarging the flash hole and using the magnum primer returns your loads to very near the specifications of original Frankford Arsenal ammunition that was issued with the gun originally. Carbines used a load of 55 grains of powder under a hollow based bullet. Do not load a card under a hollow base bullet or leading will result. This is the short course or summary of Spencers book, order the book and read it carefully, and do not load copper jacketed bullets, smokeless powder, or off the shelf ammo in that old warrior.

If you follow that TD Springfield bible, you have many hours of enjoyable shooting. I have taken a lot of game with mine. It will shoot 16" at 1000 off the sandbags with careful loads.

Enjoy

WC

Page generated in 0.03371 seconds with 8 queries