View Single Post
Old July 28, 2007, 07:12 PM   #7
john1911

I'm gonna agree with everybody who said to find a local bow shop. You might be able to find an experienced bowhunter in your area. Most of us are more than willing to help a newbie get started. No matter where you buy your bow, you're gonna end up at your local guys shop; might as well start out there. Most places will set your new bow up for you if you buy it there.

If your just wanting to try hunting with a bow, buy a used one. Most bowhunters trade bows every two or three years. You could find a trade-in or buy outright from somebody looking for a new bow.

I would advise any one starting out to stay away from the ultra short, high speed bows. These are less forgiving of slight flaws in your form. Also, keep your accessories pretty basic until you get the hang of shooting your bow. I would recommend a three pin sight, peep sight on the string, TM Hunter type rest, caliper release, other basic accessories. You can always upgrade when your skills grow.

As for specific brands, you can't go wrong with any big name company. I started with PSE and currently shoot a High Country Archery bow. Mathews is probably the most popular bow in my area. A couple guys shoot Hoyt. Once again, it's a personal choice.

I shoot Gold Tip carbon arrows. Easton is also a good choice.

Broadheads is were you run into a lot of differing opinions. I used to shoot mechanicals, but wasn't always happy with their performance. I've switched to G5 Montec broadheads and like them much better. My only problem is that they won't shoot to the same point of impact as practice tips. The mechanicals were much better in this aspect. I shoot practice Montecs and don't worry about it.

I hope this helped some and, as always, this is strictly my experiences and opinions. YMMV.

Page generated in 0.02430 seconds with 8 queries