View Single Post
Old January 20, 2013, 06:04 PM   #6
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bricz75
I claimed the sighting was off. They said no, but since getting it back, I noticed it is still off.
Both the front and rear sight are dovetailed. Windage is corrected by drifting the sights. Open sights can be perfect for your eyes and waaaaay off for my eyes. Doesn't seem logical, but that's what is.

Quote:
The failures to feed were worked out but not with the OEM Mec-Gar mags, rather with my good Checkmate mags.
I never liked or trusted Mec-Gar mags for the 1911. Didn't know para was using them, I thought they made their own. Stick with the Check-mates.

Quote:
I noticed there is an indentation in the bullet primer when chambering a round. It doesn't look like it's the firing pin but rather the edge of the extractor.
The extractor doesn't reach to the primer at any time in the firing cycle, and has nothing that could dent the primer if it did. What you are describing is impossible. The only thing that could be denting the primer is the firing pin, but the Para has a firing pin safety, so that's effectively impossible, too, unless your pistol is broken.

Quote:
Also, the extractor seems adjusted a little or somewhat to close to the firing pin hole located at the back of the slide (I forget what that part is called).
You cannot evaluate extractor placement by eye. What matters is tension. If the pistol feeds and extracts reliably, don't even think about fixing that which is not broken.

Quote:
I'm considering investing funds into it to have a new, good quality extractor put into it and having the sights adjusted.
What leads you to believe the extractor in your pistol is not a good quality part? Last I knew, Para's extractors were made for them by EGW, which happens to be one of the el primo sources of "good quality" extractors for custom 1911 pistolsmiths.

Quote:
Something I don't know about my Para is how close it is to being "in spec" or in relative spec. By in relative in spec, I mean the relationships between pin holes in both the frame and slide, extractor hole, barrel dimensions relative to the slide and frame, angle of feed ramp, and other things of a similar nature. Would anyone know?
How could anyone know about your particular pistol? Para machines their frames (and slides) on CNC machines that perform all the hole cuts in one setup. The CNC machines are set up to a tolerance of something like .0002", with the goal of holding the tolerances on the completed parts to .002" -- which is as tight as the tightest tolerance on a mil-spec 1911, and better than twice as tight as most of the tolerances on a mil-spec 1911. Is it possible that something might have slipped and that yours might be out of spec? I suppose so ... but it's very unlikely. What is there about your pistol that might make you suspect it might be out of spec?

Quote:
Also, Gun Tests magazine noticed this model shows hire velocities than it's competitors.
That's perhaps the most ridiculous thing I've read all week, but coming from Gun Tests I'm not surprised. Bullet velocity is a function of ammunition and barrel length, not pistol model. ALL firearm barrels are subject to manufacturing tolerances, just like every other part in the gun. Might one barrel be bored and rifled slightly differently from another? Yeah, anything else would be impossible. Will one of those two barrels shoot the same ammo a little faster or slower than the other? Most likely. That's not due to design, or make of firearm or model of firearm. It's due to manufacturing tolerances.

Last edited by Aguila Blanca; January 21, 2013 at 10:38 AM. Reason: typo

Page generated in 0.02607 seconds with 8 queries