View Single Post
Old January 25, 2010, 12:26 PM   #9
MrBorland

Quote:
You have to deside if you want to sink baskets in a three foot hoop or do you want to learn to play basket ball. Do you want to spend all day shooting one ragged hole at 7 yards or do you want to learn to shoot.
+1 Kraigwy.

One of our members here (or THR?) once replied that shooting unsupported 50 yard cloverleafs with a handgun was a skill looking for an application. I agree, but only to a point.

You don't have to be a dedicated target shooter to practice the fundamentals, and 25 yards is a fine distance to judge how well you're doing.

I recall Brian Enos, the great action shooter, wrote on his forum, "you never really go Beyond Fundamentals (title of his book), you just apply them faster". I strongly suspect that any decent action shooter can pick up their gun and shoot a relatively impressive 25 yard unsupported group on demand, and I think it's not a bad standard to apply to ourselves once in a while.

If you have aspirations to be a good shooter, even if it's for SD reasons, yet you can't even get close to shooting a good, consistent and honest unsupported 25 yard 5-shot group on demand with a service pistol/revolver, now's probably a good time to stop poo-pooing it and start practicing. Just my $0.02.

Page generated in 0.03096 seconds with 8 queries