View Single Post
Old November 30, 2007, 12:39 AM   #2
Rob Pincus

Alizee,

I cannot think of seeing a double feed induced by simply tapping and racking (with or without the roll) in response to a stove pipe.

I teach to address any malfunction that starts with a normal trigger actuation and doesn't result in a round being fired with a Tap-Rack as an immediate action drill and only add other steps if necessary. This works well over 90% of the time with real failures to fire, failure to feed and stovepipes. The most common reason to do anything else comes from a failure to extract caused by something like a ripped case rim or broken extractor. The Tap-Rack will them induce a double feed, which necessitates additional action.

I have frequently pointed out that if you happen to notice the stove pipe in the process of getting to the rack, that you might consciously "sweep" the stove-piped case out of the way as you get your hand into position to rack. This is not a necessary step, and it would require looking at the gun at the moment of the Failure to Fire if it were going to be doctrine.

I, like you, prefer commonality. Consistency in our mechanical techniques leads to greater efficiency in our abilities.

Thanks for asking!

-RJP

Page generated in 0.03099 seconds with 8 queries