View Single Post
Old September 16, 2011, 01:16 PM   #12
FrankenMauser

Thanks, guys. I hoped a few people would enjoy the photos. Feel free to share your own.

To add a bit of history to the mix....

In two of these photos (first two in second post), you're actually looking across the Oregon/California Trail.
From the small hill next to our camp site, you can see about 13 miles of the trail, with its sandstone (historic) and concrete (modern) markers.
In previous years, we've had to drive down the Oregon Trail, to retrieve game. (In some areas, the original ruts are preserved, and vehicles are prohibited. In other areas, the current roads follow the original trail.)

PTS1- great shot. Hunting in the desert has a beauty of its own.

Jimbob - Thanks. I shake too much to pull it off on my own, and like to sit for a while, watching the animals move across the land. So, I rely on the bi-pod. The Partition is way too tough for Antelope, but it is the most accurate hand load I have for that .270. I always try for head shots on does, but the variable winds left me doubting the success of trying a craniotomy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by globemaster3
I could get lost just sitting there staring at that while on a hunt.
It happens all the time.
Just before taking that doe.... I spent about an hour sitting cross-legged, rifle in my lap, on top of the hill by our camp, just taking in the beauty. Eventually, I happened to notice the Antelope making their way toward me (they were about a mile out, when I got lost in the abyss). So, I worked my way, about 600 yards, down the far side of the hill; and sat low in the sagebrush, again, for 20-30 minutes, before they grazed their way into view.

Page generated in 0.03689 seconds with 8 queries