View Single Post
Old March 28, 2013, 10:25 PM   #16
en-frame

jason41987, I've got both an AUG A3 and an MSAR E4. I've fired brass and steel cases (zinc or brass plated, no polymer coated stuff), through both and not had any problems with the ammo. But then I always keep both weapons clean. I've not tried any run-the-thing-without-cleaning-until-it-won't-run-no-more stuff. They've both worked great for me so far (over the course of a year or so).

HOWEVER. That said, I've seen many posts on various forums complaining of problems with various makes of MSAR. There are 3 or 4 generations of them, plus the E4 (which takes AR mags). Do a search on ARFcom, and on USAUG.com and see what you think. For a long while MSAR the company had gone offline (Chapter 11 I think). The only support available was from the fine folks @ RatWorx. They helped me out with an issue on my E4 (the original magazine latch design for the E4 was weak and needed replacement). I've also purchased RatWorx' hybrid bolt and trigger pack. Both are excellent, though you have to get on a waiting list for the trigger pack. That pack compared to a stock MSAR or AUG trigger pack is a whole new ballgame. Highly recommended.

MSAR the company is back now and building the E4 again, so *perhaps* the support thing is resolved. I don't know. And Steyr are having AUG A3s built in the U.S., so they are available NIB too. Parts have always been available for the AUGs (do a search for Pete Athens: great guy and an AUG guru). It would be worth your while to search on the world wide wait for info on both firearms to see what's what, before making a decision.

I'd hate to have to decide between my AUG and my E4. Both are fun to shoot, handy to maneuver, and nicely balanced. I use an ACOG on my MSAR and an Elcan on my AUG (1-4x). I have 3 barrels for my MSAR (16", 18" and 20"), but only 1 (16") for my AUG. Been lookin' for a 20" barrel for the AUG, but no luck so far. New 16" barrels are available for the AUG again, and 24" barrels are supposed to be next on the list. The 20" is planned for later on down the road. It takes about 15 seconds to change a barrel on an AUG or the MSAR, which is a very cool feature. Helps make them simple to clean, too.

Good luck in your search, Sir!

Page generated in 0.03574 seconds with 8 queries