View Single Post
Old December 30, 2012, 05:28 PM   #10
Doc Hoy

Hold on guys.....

I just examind every last one of my revolvers and I am ready to retract my prevous statement in which I said mine all look like jlb's photo. They do not.

I now see a very minor but pivotally important difference and I am ready to render my opinion that the jlb's revolver is defective. And I think I know how.

Here are the points.

1. In every one of my revolvers the part of the hammer that engages the safety notch is the very tip of the top of the hammer that comes to rest over the top of the cap. This little tip engages the notch and prevents the cylinder from moving.

2. I have revolvers in which the notches in the cylinder are cut deep and other notches that are cut shallow, but every one of my revolvers has a safety notch system which works. The tip of the top of the hammer engages the notch and the cylinder won't move.

3. In jlb's photo, the damage to the cylinder is actually below the notch meaning that the part of the hammer which I shall call the "heel" is hitting the cylinder before the tip of the hammer can engage the safety notch. The damage is actually done to a part of the cylinder which is perpendicuar to the center line of the cylinder. The tip of the top of the hammer never gets a chance to engage the safety notch because there is a problem in the geometry of the cylinder to hammer interface.

4. Most of my revolvers that have any age on them have a very little bit of "peening" at the top of the safety notch which is caused by the tip of the hammer engaging the notch. I never use the safety notches and so the revolvers I have which I purchased new, don't have these tiny dings. But one of the ones I bought used clearly has the marks. jlb's photos clearly show no dings at the top of the notch (the part of the notch which is closest to the extreme circumference of the cylinder.)

5. jlb checked the width of the notches and it is adequate to accept the width of the hammer.

6. If the revolver is defective as I believe it is, the defect is in a feature of the revolver which impacts safety. The prudent mariner would return the revolver and get a replacement, checking the replacement before leaving the store.

If it were up to me, I would keep the revolver because I never use the safety notches anyway. I load all six and I just be careful.

Page generated in 0.02365 seconds with 8 queries