View Single Post
Old August 24, 2001, 07:30 PM   #10
Bud Helms

Remember that a shooter that's been handloading for ten years or more, didn't have TFL to consult. Ironically, ten years ago, about the only dependable resource online, for any subject, WAS a bulletin board. TFL is a great resource for beginners and the experienced alike. I really believe the best way to introduce yourself to handloading is to read. Here and the literature. I was given three or four major reloading manuals to read before my mentor would take me into his reloading room. It really helped my understanding of what was going on! Sometimes "dumb" questions are unavoidable, but for those of us that hate to ask them, the info is there in the manuals. Anything worth doing or knowing is worth a little work. The enjoyment, knowledge and pride in handloading is immeasurable, speaking for myself. To understand how something works is a reward in itself. I never did it to save the cost of a round.

Resist looking for a quick way to learn handloading. This is a hobby worth the time. IMHO, a combination of the experienced help here on TFL, the reloading manuals (I prefer Lyman, and Speer for beginner intro) and an experienced handloader that is willing to give personal time would be the best way to learn to do it right.

Good luck.

Bud

edit .... PS: I am beholden to LEE for making it possible for me to affordably "ease" into handloading.

Page generated in 0.02379 seconds with 8 queries