View Single Post
Old March 25, 2001, 09:46 AM   #3
Desert Dog

Thanks George

I took the plunge and disassembled it last night. I was expecting horror like when I took a 1890 Winchester apart too far one time , but it went very well. Unfortunately a lot more of the finish is gone from the metal than I originally thought. By just wiping it down with Sheath, most of the surface rust has been removed... along with a lot of thin blue. No significant dark rust anywhere.

The action seems tight, headspace from what I can tell is still very decent. It has a 2 3/4" chamber and the barrel is immaculate and shiny. The gun was made in 1909. (I found a date stamp on one of the interior parts)

George, do you think it can handle modern, normal bird shot loads? Of course the first time I shoot it, will be remotely...

I think it would make a decent Cowboy Shooting pump shotgun because when I first saw it I thought it was a Winchester 1897...

Thanks again George.

"No provision in our Constitution ought to be dearer to man than that which protects the rights of conscience against the enterprises of the civil authority" - Thomas Jefferson

Page generated in 0.02899 seconds with 8 queries