View Single Post
Old September 13, 2012, 09:04 AM   #8
Woody55

I was told that the wild pigs around here are descended from Russian Boar that were imported by hunting clubs in the 1920s and escaped domestic pigs. From what I've seen, they are somewhat more Russian Boar than you might expect from the old and non-renewed gene pool. But I figure that those genes are probably better adapted to living and reproducing in the wild and get passed on disproportionally.

But I agree with the OP that they aren't exactly huge armor plated killing machines. I've seen males that were probably 300 pounds or more and had some extra cartilage protection up front along with tusks. And I've seen some that acted pretty aggressive. But generally, they scatter and run.

I've only been "charged" by one, and I think he or she (it was getting dark) was in the group when it got spooked, didn't pick up why and ran in the direction it so happened to be facing. Which was at me. I jumped behind a tree. It dodged the tree. And we both went on our merry ways.

My main problem is that they tear the ground up. And with this soil it doesn't take much to start a significant erosion problem.

Page generated in 0.03814 seconds with 8 queries