View Single Post
Old April 12, 2006, 12:17 PM   #3
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Are bad neighborhood fixable?
My answer is a firm yes, IF the majority in your neighborhood are willing to get involved.

The biggest enemy is apathy. People today don't want to get involved, and that almost always leads to the downhill slide.

Neighborhood watch programs, when done right, work. Bad guys won't stand up to people united against them, but the toughest part of getting started is finding an organizer, a born leader. Hold a meeting, get people involved, and form a Plan. Contact the LE agency responsible for your area for help and training. Most agencies have a program in place for this.

But it doesn't stop there. Bad guys look for areas that appear as though you don't care. Encourage and even pressure neighbors to clean up their property. Clean up litter, and see that lawns are cut and high weeds are cut in vacant lots. Pressure your local government to ensure that there's adequate lighting, and that trees that block streetlights are trimmed. Also pressure city council to come down hard on slum lords, so that their property is either maintained, or torn down.

Obviously, there is some risk, especially early on. But no good thing comes without sacrifice. If you're going to be the one to lead this venture, understand that, and be ready. Up your own defensive training and fortify your home. When others see that you're not only willing, but able to fight, most will fall in behind you.

It can be done, but it's going to take courage, determination, and leadership. It really is a war of sorts, and you can only win it if you and your neighbors stand united.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie

Page generated in 0.01984 seconds with 8 queries