View Single Post
Old September 4, 2009, 03:20 AM   #21
Doc Hoy

Covering the bases

Doug,

Thanks for the additional recipe and the mixing method. As I said I will have to grow unhappy with the mix I use now before going to a new one but beeswax is an ingredient that everyone seems to like. I can get it without problems, in fact it may be cheaper than the toilet cookies I use. As far as the amount is concerned, I mix up my mess by the pound. I heat it up in a boiler on the stove. (I am typing very quietly now because my wife is right behind me and she has not yet learned that I use her good pans for bore lube.) I am now on my third batch in about 18 months.

Fingers,

Thanks for answering the questions one by one. I am pretty sure I have punches that will work for both .44 and .36. I won't really know until I use some of the wads I punch out. My thought is to soak the material then lay it down in layers, probably ten plies thick. Let it harden up, and cut the wads with a punch chucked into a drill press. I will probably experiment with putting some weight onto the stack of soaked wool material so as to reduce the amount of lube in the wads. Yes...Your answers help as they usually do.

WCQ,

I knew that parrifin is petroleum based but I haven't seen any negative effects possibly because I shoot fewer rounds in a given day and clean a pistol thoroughly after only about an average of 25 to 30 shots.

Page generated in 0.04761 seconds with 8 queries