View Single Post
Old November 16, 2004, 09:54 AM   #17
tanstaafl4y

I just thought I'd toss in my two cents worth. I have often heard the arguement about manual safety is just something that gets in the way. My counter-argument is this: Lack of practice is just something that gets in the way.

I was a military police shift supervisor. Our SOP for "routine patrol" Was chamber empty, safety on - Full flap holster with an M-9 pistol (Beretta 92). Everyday before shift I would drill my squad at the clearing barrel to go from carry to ready to fire. Times were consistantly less than 3 seconds. On occasions when we had a fill-in from another squad it was amazing to see that it would take them 5+ seconds just to figure out how to open their holster.

Based on my training and experience I can say that the individuals response in a draw/shoot situation is based less on thought process than muscle memory and reaction. If you drill to draw, safety, rack every time-every time it will become routine.

Train as you fight, and all of that other hoahh-hoahh B.$.

Last edited by tanstaafl4y; November 16, 2004 at 09:55 AM. Reason: gross spelling error

Page generated in 0.02155 seconds with 8 queries