View Single Post
Old July 25, 2001, 11:15 AM   #11
Keith Rogan

>>>>Deer tend to follow a draw when going uphill, and travel more on a toe when going downhill.<<<<<

Art,

That's an interesting observation, but not a pattern I've ever noticed around here where deer tend to travel via the "easiest" route. I wonder what would account for that difference - hunting pressure?
There's a weird (sounding) theory around here that deer movement is affected by the tides - ie; they move further down on extreme low tides and travel back up when the tide turns. People believe in this so much that if there's a mid-morning tide they won't even bother to get up early, just mosey on out an hour or two before the tide change and set up to wait.
Most people around here are commercial fisherman who know the tide times weeks in advance. I never pay any attention to that, but do you think there may be something to what they're saying?
The tides are tied to the moon phases and it may make sense (to me) if an extreme tide is tied to a bright moonlit night where the deer travel further, or a late moon that has them feeding through dawn rather than earlier in the evening - something like that.

Most people here simply believe the tide "pulls" deer down the mountain... I don't believe that but most hunting lore has an element of truth in it someplace.

Page generated in 0.03193 seconds with 8 queries