View Single Post
Old March 14, 2013, 10:55 AM   #11
Gaerek

Here's some additional tips:

Read. Read a lot. There are tons of good books out there. I know you mentioned HD, but if you're planning on getting your CCW (and why be protected only half the time? Might as well make it all the time ) there are other books I can recommend.

In the Gravest Extreme by Massad Ayoob - This was written in the late 70's or early 80's, so some of the equipment suggestions (ammo, guns, holsters, etc) are outdated, but the information on Use of Force, and what to do after a defensive shooting is still very relevant. This is probably still the best book available on the topic.

Gun Digest Book of Concealed Carry by Massad Ayoob - The newest edition was just written last year, so equipment suggestions are not outdated. Some of the info from In the Gravest Extreme is re-iterated in this book, but it's still a good idea to read both. He goes a lot into equipment, he talks about some drills and practice regimes, and also some on use of force.

As far as drills are concerned, this will depend fully on what your local range allows you to do. With some ranges, rapid fire is considered 1 shot per second, and going over that could be against the rules. Some ranges might give you the opportunity to move around (most won't). But it's important to learn to move and shoot. Here's a few drills I still do some times at static ranges (where I can't move):

1. Ball and Dummy Drill - While filling your magazine, randomly insert dummy rounds. 20-30% of your mag should be dummy rounds. The random part is kinda tough. There's two ways I've found to do it. First is to have someone else fill your mags. Offer to fill their mags for them, in turn. Second is to put enough ammo and dummy rounds into a bowl to fill your mags. Then, fill your mags with your eyes closed. Try to do your best not to guess which rounds are dummy or not by feel. This will also prepare you to fill mags if you have to do it in less than ideal conditions (and is the way I usually do it).

Now, fire your gun in whatever manner you feel you need to. It can be slow fire, fast fire, whatever. You can even do this during another drill. This drill does two things. First, and foremost, it will help you diagnose flinches that you might not think you have. If your gun moves while pulling the trigger on a dummy round...you have a flinch! Now you know, and now you can correct it. I still run this drill on occasion to ensure my flinch is gone. Second, it allows you to run a malfunction clearing drill (Tap. Rack.).

2. Get a target that has multiple bullseyes. If the bullseyes can't be differentiated from one another easily, label them with numbers or letters. From a holster have a friend call out a target, and a number of shots. Your job is simply to put the correct number of shots into the correct target as quickly as you can. If you have a shot timer, or have access to one, use it! It'll help you determine if you're getting better. If not, it's no big deal. If you're missing, slow down a bit. If you're getting tight groups, speed up.

3. Practice transitioning between targets. Either going from body to head on a silhouette, or on a target with multiple bullseyes. Like #2, try to go as quickly as you can. If you're missing, slow down a bit. If you're getting tight groups, speed up.

This is a good start. I do a variety of things at the range. My range has swing out barriers you can shoot from behind, and I use those fairly often to practice using cover. Make sure you're dry firing too. Practice reloads...practice reloads...practice reloads.

I hope that's a good start.

Page generated in 0.03699 seconds with 8 queries