View Single Post
Old June 20, 2010, 12:29 PM   #5
gak

I have had maybe a dozen Rossi 92s since the late 70s -- particularly the early Interarms and later EMF (but still pre safety, i.e., pre 2006) models -- and have had very few problems. For the most part they've been rugged, trouble free and smooth operators. Some have required more shooting or dry levering to slick up than others, but all were great shooters with very little range or field time. On top of that, like all Winchester 1892 (92) based designs, they have very strong actions and they're slim and lightweight - the latter aspect at least being one of their primary advantages over the Marlin. There are currently two major camps - Marlin and Rossi - and both have their adherents.

I say Rossi if you're not planning to scope, Marlin if you are. Winchester 92s are an expensive option and all modern Wins have the tang safeties and rebounding hammers on them. If it's an earlier Win 92 and a .357, it's been rechambered such. The newer Win 92s are still a better choice, IMO, over a Win 94, as the 92 action was built for "pistol-sized" cartridges from the start; the 94 wasn't. Rossis are also referred to by many as "Pumas." Although technically it's just a moniker given by Rossi's largest distributors (Interarms, then LSI) over the years, it's become just about synonymous WRT any Rossi 92. Although new-old-stock LSIs and EMFs can be found on the internet, the only current-active importers of "Rossis" is Rossi itself, now owned by Taurus/Braztech. It's basically the same gun the other distributors have been selling for years.

The pricier Italians (Chiappa/Army Sport) someone else mentioned seem to cosmetically be the closest to the original Win and appear to be high quality externally. Some have had some internal issues (others have not)...don't know if those have been ironed out. Legacy Sports (LSI) is one of the Chiappa distributors. Pre 2008 it was Rossi's largest distributor of its 92s and, confusingly, has now carried over its Puma name (originally used by the Interarms importer in the 70s-90s) to its new line of Italians. Cimarron and Taylors share this line of Chiappa 92s (with some minor trim/caliber variances) but not the LSI's Puma name.

Until the final chapter is written with the Italians, above, best of all WRT "quality" would be the Browning 92 (B-92), out of production for over 25 years. They're pricey, especially in .357 which is more rare than the .44mag it also came in, but the most rewarding of the bunch IMO. However, like all 92s, they are not optimum if you want to mount a conventional scope. Pistol-caliber carbines and scopes are oxymorons to me, but your views may vary. The old Brownings were made in the same Miroku, Japan plant as the more recent Winchester 92s--a good thing.

Last edited by gak; June 20, 2010 at 12:35 PM.

Page generated in 0.02605 seconds with 8 queries