View Single Post
Old September 30, 2013, 02:01 AM   #26
ClydeFrog

Steven Hunter novel, Run Hide Fight....

1st, Id advise any forum members who haven't viewed it to watch the training video; Run Hide Fight, produced by the city of Houston Texas with US Dept of Homeland Security resources.
It may be online or some other free, open source.
I, take issue with the "hide" concept of a active shooter/terrorist incident. Sometimes called a "man caused disaster" .
As noted in a few other TFL topics, a spree killer, deranged person(s) or terrorist may have planted IEDs(explosives) or wired booby-traps in a large area. If you are "hiding" or are concealing your position until SWAT/ERT/EOD clears the scene, you might be a big pile of ashes if things go sideways & a bomb/device goes off.
Some explosives or IEDs may be used with electric or radio wave signals. A cell phone, microwave, radio, or computer may detonate it.
Or like in the Mumbai hotel attacks in India, multiple attacks or bombs may go off.
I say, if things go sideways, range-walk(a military phrase for a brisk pace) but do not run. If you run, you might fall & have a injury or trip and slow down. If you are armed & engage any hostile threats then so be it but Id rather fight on my terms than risk being a hostage or a casualty because I wanted to "wait it out".
If you haven't read it yet, get author Steven Hunter's great novel about a "terrorist" action on a huge Mall of America type structure.
Hunter, a former film critic & respected Baltimore area journalist is very pro-2A and builds an interesting, realistic storyline for the crisis situation. I don't recall the novel's title but it's not hard to get/read.
I'll close by adding that in a critical incident you should not stop or render aid to any injured/wounded victims around you. That is part of the DHS training I agree with.
As a another popular action novel author; Brad Thor, writes; you help the wounded by sending rounds down range.
When you clear the scene & are safe, you can relay intel or data to the first responders, so they can deal with remaining threats. They are trained & know how to handle counter-terrorist events/active shooters. You may not be a SWAT cop or DEVGRU SEAL so let them handle the event.

Clyde
PS; DHS www.dhs.gov does have a few videos/training guides available.

Page generated in 0.03553 seconds with 8 queries