View Single Post
Old February 28, 2011, 11:33 AM   #9
TheKlawMan

I am a newby and this may not be correct but how I plan to shoot vs how I have been shooting Trap.

Ii had a basic lesson yesterday in skeet shooting and I was using an 870 pump. Until then I had perhaps done ten rounds of Trap, with no instruction, and I had been loading one round into the chamber after the shooter vbevoer me shot. I then mounted and fifred. Then I would usually dismount and shuck. Because I want to build the muscle memory to shooot doubles for skeeet, and if needed to fire rapidly in the real world, I am going to work on it this way in Trap and Skeet. This is how I was instructed to fire for skeet doubles.

When I mount to shoot, keep reward pressure on the forend so that as soon as the shot is off it slides to the rear so as to eject the spent hull. Then shove the forend forward immediately, without any pause, so as to shoot the second bird.

If I am shooting trap I plan on doing the same, except since there is no second round in the magazine and followling a brief pause I will slide the forend to the rear with the barrel pointed down range and then dismount the weapon. That is if I am shooting alone or with someone who doesn't care about the clankety clank. I only now realized that this may be distracting and rude to squadmates.

If I may be distracting squad mates, I will still keep rearwards pressure on the forend so that I immediately eject after firing, but will not shove it foreward so as to reduce the clankety clank.

This may not work too well if you are saving hulls to reload, in which case I usually shuck more gently so as to enable me to kind of tilt the action to one side and catch the hull, but for the time being I don't plan on reloading and will just be shooting wall mart cheapies.

If what I plan is improper I welcome comments but if I there are none I will ask some of the guys at the range what they think, as they may be too polite to volunteer unsolicited constructive criticism.

Last edited by TheKlawMan; February 28, 2011 at 11:44 AM.

Page generated in 0.02857 seconds with 8 queries