View Single Post
Old November 8, 2010, 07:58 PM   #26
AK103K

Quote:
How can you miss the safety on a 1911. Soon as you get any sort of grip on the pistol your thumb is gonna be laying on the safety,...
Quote:
I've managed thousands of presentations with a 1911, in classes, in competition and in practice, without missing the safety or failing to disengage the grip safety.
I've made probably a bazillion presentations with a 1911, and with most all of them, have always had troubles with a grip that tries to ride the thumb on top of the safety instead of along side it after its been swept off. I know its not the "way" to do it these days, but you go with what works I suppose. At least its always worked for me. It was always the grip safety that was the issue, and not the thumb safety. I also always carried basically box stock 1911's of the original Colt design, and not the modified type most seem to be now. No beavertails and hump back grip safeties. A lot of times, if you try to force that extra high grip on stock guns, you will often hinder the grip safety being disengaged.

Constant practice is everything, both dry fire and live practice, and starting slow and doing it right, ingraining the muscle memory, is more important than being fast. You'll know you're getting there when you "think" guns, and you're looking at the sights on what you're looking at.

Once you have that down, you can start to move while doing it.

Airsoft is a great way to practice too. The guns these days fit your normal holsters and work just like the real thing (Short of blast and heavier recoil. They do cycle and "recoil" though, and you do have to track the sights). You can practice in the house (until the old lady steps on one of the pellets on the hardwoods in her bare feet ) or out in the yard with very little, if any impact on things. I used to practice drawing and shooting, while moving off the "X" on a 4x4 clothes line post at about 5 feet, shooting the post just as the gun cleared the holster, and it was heavily "dimpled" from the pellets. You'd be amazed at how well you can hit even small targets with just a little practice. Airsoft makes the transition to live ammo a lot easier too, if you havent shoot that way before.

Im lucky enough to have a range where I can do pretty much anything I want, without being harassed, so I get to practice a little more realistically than a lot of other places I've shot. Most places these days are so worried about lawsuits, you're lucky you're allowed live ammo. If you cant shoot like this, Airsoft is a very big help getting things worked out.

Targets are another thing many dont seem to consider. Bullseye targets are fine, for "target" shooting, but do nothing for programing your brain to shoot where you "need" to shoot. There are a number of "photo" type targets available today, that place the target in positions that require thought as to where you place the shot. They arent all the typical "face on" easy COM shots you see presented in most cases. COM isnt always COM when the target isnt square to you. You need to put the bullets direction of travel into the right place, from all directions as you move around the target (or as its presented to you), to get where it belongs.

Page generated in 0.02735 seconds with 8 queries