View Single Post
Old March 28, 2005, 09:42 PM   #23
OBIWAN

Wow...Gun World apparently understands statistics and the scientific method

And unlike DML they don't appear to have an agenda

Things that make you say hmmmm

I believe the 22mag comparison was a comparison in straight ballistics not weapons platforms

Advocates seem to jockey back and forth between rifle/pistol comparisons in whatever order supports their theory best.

It is a niche round in a niche weapon

Goody

It is definitely trendy I am quite certain chicks dig it!

But the terminal performance of the round is at least suspect

Most of the people I know that go in harms way are skeptical of it

I have seen some serious smear campaigns launched against those that would oppose its many claims of greatness.

One of those Is Dr. ROberts of Tactical Forums who has tested the round

"The early 5.7 x 28 mm 23 gr FMJ bullet fired by the FN P-90 had insufficient penetration for law enforcement and military use. The current 31 gr SS-190 FMJ bullet has nearly adequate penetration, but the wound resulting from this projectile has a relatively small permanent crush cavity, as well as an insignificant temporary stretch cavity. Although the 5.7 x 28 mm penetrates soft body armor, wounding potential is at best like a .22 LR or .22 MagnumEven 9mm NATO FMJ makes a larger wound--and we are all aware of the awe inspiring incapacitation potential of M882 ball from the M9....."

And Mr. DiFabio of Ammo lab

"Doc covered this well,
We have also run LE only tests with the 5.7 pistol and the P90 carbine.
Both were very disappointing and I have shared on several occassions that the development and attempted marketing of these cartridges toward the standard LE agency has for the most part been irreponsible IMHO.
This cartridge offers nothing to the patrol officer in terms of increased terminal ballsitics over the standard G22/40 cal serive pistol and it is easily outclassed by a 180gr GD load."

Page generated in 0.02475 seconds with 8 queries