View Single Post
Old February 25, 1999, 08:16 AM   #8
Michael Carlin

Rob,

Wood is not a recommended cleaning rod material. Not strong enough, and not "non-imbedding".

The conventional wisdom has been for years now that the rod should be very hard, so that the bits of grit in the barrel can not become embedded in the surface of the rod.

One of the selling points of aluminum and brass rods were that they were too soft to harm the barrel. Paper is soft, sand paper is grit on paper. Aluminum and brass may be softer than steel but allow bits of debris to become embedded in them. This is then an "abrasive stick".

I use a Dewey coated rod, which I wipe with the back side of the patch just through the barrel on every pass. I use a new patch every pass. When I wipe the rod, if there is much of anything on the patch, I use a clean patch to wipe again.

If I were to buy the rod today I would opt for the uncoated stainless one. With the kind of money you have invested in long guns, do yourself a favor and buy Dewey (or other similar quality) .22 and 30 cal rods and good jags for every caliber you own. It won't cost you more than the price of a couple three boxes of CORBON and will serve you the rest of your life! Then your grandchildren can use them!

just my .02 worth!

------------------
Ni ellegimit carborundum esse!

Yours In Marksmanship
http://www.1bigred.com/distinguished

michael

[This message has been edited by Michael Carlin (edited February 25, 1999).]

Page generated in 0.03487 seconds with 8 queries