View Single Post
Old September 13, 2002, 11:31 AM   #2
Jim Watson

Why are you depending on a 1957 manual?

My Lyman 44th (1968), 47th (1992 and the 48th just now in the works), Cast Bullet Handbook (1973) and RCBS Cast Bullet Manual No 1 (1986) all show more powders, more cast bullets and generally heavier loads and higher velocities.

Nobody recommends Unique for light loads with jacketed bullets anymore. I don't know what they are worried about, double charges, pressure spikes, and stuck bullets are all possible and might worry their lawyers. Or maybe they just don't figure there is any demand for the old small game load with a jacketed bullet.

Yes, cast bullets engrave into the rifling and drive down the barrel more easily. The maximum loads given for cast bullets are usually the heaviest that gave reasonably good accuracy with that style of bullet cast out of their lead alloy. So they will usually be below the maximum load with a jacketed bullet which gives the maximum pressure specified for the caliber.

I think even the starting loads in the newer manuals I have are too much; I usually go by the article in the old NRA Handloading Manual, written for the American Rifleman in the '60s.

If you want to get up to .30-30 ballistics with cast bullets in a .30-06 it will take very good bullets to give good accuracy. It can be done, but I am usually satisfied with .32-40 ballistics, 1000 to 1500 fps.

Page generated in 0.02513 seconds with 8 queries