View Single Post
Old July 28, 2010, 06:44 PM   #52
jhenry

If I am forced to fire in order to protect life and limb, then the damage is the responsibility of the one who forced my hand. "but for" his/her actions, nothing at all would have happened. If on the other hand, I acted negligently, even if forced to fire, I own my negligence.

I have a little issue with responsibility, and I prefer to place it where it belongs. Not where the pockets are deepest. I realize many view this as antiquated, or living in fantasy, but that is how I was raised. I assure you it is not fantasy, and really is how I conduct myself. I hold myself responsible for my actions, and I fully expect the same from others.

This is why we have the Felony Murder statute for instance, and why in many jurisdictions people are free from civil liability in the case of a justified shooting. For the purpose of placing the responsibility where it belongs.

If I am forced to fire and one lands in some poor soles foot I am negligent automatically? Nonsense. Automatically on the hook for a situation not of my choosing? Nope. I have to purchase everything my bullet hits no matter what? Not on your life. The guy who put me in a position to act or die is though.

If I shoot and act with reckless disregard, well then sue me. I deserve it at that point.

Page generated in 0.02811 seconds with 8 queries