View Single Post
Old April 23, 2013, 08:55 AM   #12
Bigdog57

My two current Ruger guns are a second-year-of-production Security Six revolver and a 10-22 Rifle introduced in about 2000 or so as the "Walmart Special" - 22" stainless barrel and birchwood stock. I like the birch, as it is denser and more stable than walnut. I do like a good piece of walnut, but it's no deal breaker. I did refinish it, as I deplore Ruger's proprietary stock finish. Now I can actually see the fairly decent wood grain. Accuracy and reliability are okay, but nothing great. I only bought the Ruger (along with a similar year Marlin 60SB) to compare to my older vintage .22 rifles. Many of the older rifles easily outshoot it and prove more reliable.
Several years back, I lucked into a tang-safety Model 77V in .22-250. Again refinished the stock. It was a very good shooter! At that time I was not handloading, so used Remington factory ammo (okay) and some handloads from a gunshow vendor who had done right by me with a .22 Hornet. His loads were superb in both rifles! Unfortunately, I was not hunting varmints, and needed money more than the rifle, so I sold it. I still mentally kick myself for that.
Have tried a Remington in .308Win and a Win70 in .270WSM for deer hunting - neither is as tight shooting as that Ruger was!

Page generated in 0.03398 seconds with 8 queries