View Single Post
Old April 9, 2013, 03:48 AM   #870
Sevens

Okay, that revolver is ultra-cool. So many folks have begged and pleaded for a Single Six in .327 Federal... this one is even smaller. That's a lot of beef in a really small package right there.

Quote:
Nothing wrong with working up lead loads to the level they are capable of.
Please understand that when I mentioned "Beyond that, you are talking cast bullets or bullets below 85 grains in weight" my point was never that cast bullets weren't appropriate in this round (I'm loaded 115gr FP cast slugs from Penn Bullets), my point was that Hodgdon is unlikely to have a whole heaping helping of load data for cast lead bullets.

Most published data sources don't list a lot of loads for cast lead bullets -- because cast lead bullets vary WIDELY depending on many factors and unless it is traditionally a lead bullet chambering (.32 S&W Long, .45 Colt), then a large powder distributor like Hodgdon is much more likely to list a bunch of jacketed loads and leave the lead bullets alone.

Sized diameter, alloy, bullet length & shape, gas check or no...? A lot of variable with lead bullets that aren't conducive to nearly as much published load data.

Not that this is a real problem. Find a proper powder that works in it's range, start low and develop your loads. This is what I've done, and I fully plan to update that other thread with more chrono numbers as soon as I drag that stuff out to the range.

Page generated in 0.03858 seconds with 8 queries