View Single Post
Old June 24, 2013, 07:52 AM   #8
CajunBass

Quote:
Was the time when slugs were sold in 25s, maybe $0.75 a box more than "premium" target rounds, about the same price as the heavier field loads. Then the manufacturere figured they could get a far better price by selling them in fives. Same with Buckshot.
I'm pretty close to being an "old man" and I don't recall seeing many 25 round boxes of buckshot. I know I've only bought one in my life, about 35 years ago, and I've still got shells (and the box) left from that box. When I was a kid, stores used to sell individual shells, so those were probably 25 round boxes, but they were far from common. Slugs were all but unknown where I grew up. Since I got old enough to drive, and buy shells on my own, buckshot has always come in five packs (slugs also).

As for why there aren't cheap slug/buckshot loads? There's no demand for them I would guess. The "tactical" craze is fairly new. I never knew many hunters who practiced with buckshot loads. (Slugs aren't againts the law, but were against the rules in most hunt clubs I've hunted with.) They'd fire a few rounds to pattern their guns, maybe a few to shoot at groundhogs in the garden, and a dozen or so for deer hunting. What was left over this year, carried over to next year. They don't go bad.

Quote:
I always thought that it had to do with the fact that buckshot and slugs are cast, while birdshot is dropped through a sieve.
That's a factor too, I'm sure.
John 3:16 (NKJV)

Page generated in 0.02555 seconds with 8 queries