Thread: CPL Too Easy?
View Single Post
Old March 12, 2013, 05:28 AM   #29
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraigwy
Guess the NRA wouldn't like my classes, I teach Self Defense classes, not shooting classes.

I didn't want to repost the whole quote, lets just say I'm "unconventional" when it comes to SD. I try to base my classes on reality, not target shooting.
I have no issue with that, but I think you're missing the point. You are offering "Kraigwy's Self-Defense Method" classes, not the NRA Basic Pistol class. The NRA publishes the course book for each of its classes, and as certified instructors we agree that when we advertise a class as "the" NRA Basic Pistol (or "the" NRA ___ class) we will teach the class according to the NRA course handbook. If a state will accept something less than that or something other than that, fine -- for the state, but the instructor is not allowed to advertise something other than the NRA course as the NRA course, and he/she should not be awarding an NRA certificate of completion at the end of something that is not the NRA course.

My state requires, per state statute, the NRA Basic Pistol class as a prerequisite to getting a carry permit. I know there are instructors out there who don't teach the required class, and who don't follow the new protocol for live fire. That's wrong, and the bottom line is they are simultaneously breaking the law and cheating their students. The basic course for my state and for most states is not about self-defense, it's about handling a firearm with a bare modicum of safety. Anything beyond that is on the licensee.

Page generated in 0.02694 seconds with 8 queries