View Single Post
Old February 20, 2013, 03:10 PM   #45
emcon5

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamfire
Well before the documentary, a Graybeard I know told me that way back in the early 50's, two hardware store new Rem 721's fired into the floorboards of a car, when the safeties were released.

On another forum a poster stated that a woman in El Paso had been killed, when an owner of a Rem 700 got home and unloaded his rifle in the driveway. The rifle discharged upon safety release, the bullet went way up, and way down, killing the woman who apparently was outside on the lawn.
There is a recognized problem with early Remington 700 Triggers that Remington will fix (If I remember correctly), involving rifles that could be "tricked" into firing by putting the safety lever placed in between "safe" and "fire" positions (i.e, not actually on safe), the trigger is then pulled in this condition and the rifle goes off when the safety lever is moved to the "fire".

This isn't a huge problem on it's own, but compounded with the pre 1982 700 trigger that locked the bolt closed when the safety is on it could become one. You had to take the safety off to unload the rifle. An estimated 1% of the rifles sold before 1982 could have this problem.

This was also fixed 30 years ago.

http://www.drinnonlaw.com/docs/Remington-79-80-Memo.pdf

Page generated in 0.03602 seconds with 8 queries