View Single Post
Old October 24, 2007, 03:33 PM   #8
taylorce1

W.S. I have no doubt you can kill a brown or grizzly bear with a .270 WSM and the right bullet combinations. My thing is what happens if the hunter becomes the hunted; I think a bigger bore rifle at close range would do a better job than you .270. The biggest bear and only bear I've ever hunted was around 300 lbs which is decent size for a black bear. When you talk about bears that can weigh several hundred pounds more than that now that is big. I feel that for bears bullets should weigh at least 200 grains preferably heavier.

What bullet weights were you comparing when you say the .270 WSM has more KE than the .30-06 and .35 Whelen? I went to Remington web site and compared the .270 WSM 150 grain, .30-06 220 grain, and .35 Whelen 250 grain, the .270 WSM retained more energy all the way out to 500 yards. Even though you have more energy the lighter bullet will loose it faster when it hits something. I feel you will have a better chance of a complete pass through with a heavier bullet because its energy will bleed off slower.

What ever you take to hunt bear just make sure you can shoot it accurately. Accuracy will win out every time over KE and FPS in a rifle cartridge adequate for the game you are hunting. I know you will have to have a guide to do this trip so again I encourage you to talk to some, even if they are not the guide service you will be using.

When and if you do this hunt I'm anxiously awaiting a hunting report. (With Pictures)

Page generated in 0.02320 seconds with 8 queries